      From: Lewis E. Gordon
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2004 8:13 PM
      Subject: [bolger] Re: AS-29's current form

      I am not a welder, but my dad was a genius at it, and I have been
      around welding a lot. I think that Juan is correct in that a wire feed
      welder is better for this application. Maybe I missed it, but no one
      has mentioned the biggest objection to ox/acyl welding: the heat
      required will buckle the panels. You want to tack weld to keep the
      heat down and then fill in between the tacks (with a stick welder, say
      an inch at a time).

      If you must stick weld, DC is much easier to use than a cheap AC "buzz
      box". The gas and diesel powered generator/welders have selectable AC/DC.

      Just MHO,

      Lewis

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Gainer" <robert_gainer@h...> wrote:
      > David,
      > I am about as far as you can be from an expert welder, but I
      understand that
      > you can lay a lot more weld with a stick then you can with gas. Why
      not wire
      > an outlet in the shop from the main box and let the wife cook
      undisturbed.
      > Or you may want to get a small gas powered miller.
      > Robert Gainer
      >

      > >From: "dnjost" <djost@m...>
      > >To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: [bolger] Re: AS-29's current form
      > >Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 00:01:51 -0000
      > >
      > >Juan,
      > >My arc welder is a traditional buzz box that must be connected to a
      > >250V outlet. The only one I have is the one my stove plugs in to.
      > >Mrs. J. does not care for the 250V wire coming through the kitchen
      > >and the stove pulled out for the sake of boat building.
      > >
      > >With and oxy-acetelyne outfit, you can roll it to the work and keep
      > >it far away from the main flow of traffic in the yard. It is also
      > >easier (my opinion) to control the weld bead. I blew a hole through
      > >the metal the first time I tried the buzz box. Like anything else,
      > >it takes a little practice. This was when I thought I was going to
      > >build a trailer for my Micro.
      > >
      > >Happy Building
      > >David Jost
      > >

      > > > Why?
      > > >
      > > > for plate welding you´d be better off with a wire welder. In
      > >Spain you
      > > > can buy them ( without the gas bottle) starting at arround 350
      > >â?¬. (
      > > > 375$?) Considering it would be the majority of the investment in
      > >steel
      > > > tools, for a 30 footer, I think it is not the major issue.
      > > >
      > > > Juan.

      Bolger rules!!!

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor