37207Re: How much sail lead in a micro?

  • dangonn@yahoo.com
    Jul 2, 2004
      Seems to me that's a good suggestion...adding another set of reef points to give another
      reefing option for the conditions. I haven't suffered from too much weather helm with my
      Long Micro (which has a similar rig). I keep the mizzen snotter quite tight so that I can
      sheet in the mizzen a bit harder than the mainsail.

      Wouldn't moving the mainsail forward increase (not decrease) weather helm? The more
      lead the more weather helm, right? Or maybe I have this reversed. Just curious, thanks.

      Hope that helps,

      Dan

      Long Micro pages: http://www.znw.com/homepage/zephyr.htm

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...> wrote:
      > Another thought; do you have two reef points or just the one shown
      > on the original Micro sail plan? I had a second one put in about
      > half way between the foot of the sail and the first(only) reef
      > points shown on the original plans.
      > I did this since I found that the original reefed main was only
      > slightly larger then the mizzen in area and just about left the boat
      > dead in the water in winds between 15 and about 25 knots.Putting in
      > that second set of reef points allowed me to have better control
      > over the amount of de-powering of the rig without going straight
      > into full gale mode :-)
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Peter Lenihan
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic