37201Re: How much sail lead in a micro?

  • Peter Lenihan
    Jul 2, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Todd" <ktsrfer@m...> wrote:
      I also mean winds above 15knots not
      > below 15mph. With the mizzen sheeted tight still lots of weather
      helm
      > and when main sail is reefed with mizzen still flying eases the
      > weather helm sure butt we have wicked short steep chop and it
      seems
      > the hull could handle more sail area but I would like it with out
      the
      > weather helm.
      > Todd

      Another thought; do you have two reef points or just the one shown
      on the original Micro sail plan? I had a second one put in about
      half way between the foot of the sail and the first(only) reef
      points shown on the original plans.
      I did this since I found that the original reefed main was only
      slightly larger then the mizzen in area and just about left the boat
      dead in the water in winds between 15 and about 25 knots.Putting in
      that second set of reef points allowed me to have better control
      over the amount of de-powering of the rig without going straight
      into full gale mode :-)

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic