37200Re: How much sail lead in a micro?

  • Peter Lenihan
    Jul 2, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Todd" <ktsrfer@m...> wrote:
      The question
      > has risen from my interest in moving the mast foward on a
      tabernackle
      > and maybe adding a junk sail. I don't know much but would this
      > increase the percentage of leed and in turn reduce weather helm
      and
      > or be able to carry more sail area and not effect the balance as
      the
      > standard rig?
      >
      > Todd

      Hi Todd,
      Just curious but if you are doing your sailing along the
      beautiful sunny coast of Southern California,why would you need a
      tabernacle for you mainmast anyway? Surely there can't be that many
      low lying bridges to contend with :-)
      As long as the center of effort for the junk mainsail remains
      in the same postion as on the standard Micro rig,I think it fair to
      conclude that handling the helm will be the same.
      However,if you start shifting centers around without
      considering other adjustments,then you could be setting yourself for
      some disappointment.
      Perhaps to get the best return on your proposed modification,it
      would be best to write the designer for specs. best suited for your
      needs?
      Sorry I can't be more helpful :-(

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan