36531Houseboat #481Trailer Question

  • Paul McLellan
    May 24, 2004
      I have just cut out and mocked up the trailer for the Bolger Houseboat
      #481. It looks inspiring and will cause me to push a little to finish
      the boat sooner. Launch date is set for Canada day which is July 1
      with at least a couple of trials beforehand.
      I do have a major question on the distance from the centre of the ball
      on the trailer hitch to the front of the boat. I have measured a few
      trailers and the variance is quite profound from a mere 22 inches for
      the sharpie "Turtle" to 48 inches on other trailers. Considering the
      front of the boat is 8 feet wide and I will be pulling it with a pick
      up which has the distance of the bumper between the ball and the tailgate.
      Any advice or experience will be greatly appreciated. I will be
      disassembling the trailer and bringing all the pieces to a
      professional welder. I am extremely pleased with the design and end
      product. I believe with the tandem axles it will be rated for a 4000
      lb load which is very robust for the expected load of 2500 lbs for the
      Houseboat.
      The entire experience has been a great learning curve and the savings
      by doing the job myself are quite significant and cuts the overall
      price by more than half and increases quality and load factor by 1/3.
      IMHO Thanks Paul McLellan quite elated after chopping up a quarter
      ton of 1/8th inch square pipe and clamping like crazy. thanks Bruce
      for inspiring me to have a lot of "C" clamps on hand.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic