36289Re: [bolger] Re: micro sheer clamp......how?

    May 3, 2004
      > the micro rubrail

      Worth mentioning, [if you have not
      already noticed.] The rubrail bends
      in two directions. I don't have
      my plans handy, but I recall the
      Micro rubrail is about 3/4" by 2"?

      The 3/4" direction bends easily with
      the width of the boat, but the 2"
      direction is a much tougher bend
      following the shear line. Avoid
      the temptation to increase the
      2" dimension because you will not
      be able to follow the shear line
      bend.

      If you want a wider rubrail, [like
      I did], you need to make it up from
      multiple pieces. I chose to use three
      3/4" x 1 1/2" strips plus an overlay
      of two 3/4" x 1 1/2" strips ripped from
      nice D.Fir 2x6's.

      Worth a debate, the sail plan drawing
      of the Micro Navigator seems to show
      a wider rubrail than the rubrail
      shown on the standard Micro. [To my
      eye at least!] Also the stern transom
      of the Navigator shows a very wide rubrail
      [not shown on the standard Micro transom].
      I interpreted this to mean the Navigator
      has a wider rubrail all around, including
      a rubrail across the bow transom.

      Also, I am fond of my extra deep rubrail
      on one side which gives me a toe-hold to shimmy
      around the Navigator Cabin, [PCB approved.]
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic