36245Re: micro sheer clamp......how?

  • Peter Lenihan
    May 1, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Stancil" <jasonstancil@h...>
      wrote:
      > I went to try and dry fit the rub rails and sheer clamps tonite.
      No
      > way that sheer clamp is making that bend by the cockpit/cabin
      > interface. Further more bolger navigator conversion drawing has a
      > sharp cut......bruce's navigator looks like that.....yet oink
      > does'nt. Feedback would be appreciated before i take the jigsaw to
      > the hull.
      > Thanks,
      > Jason

      Jason,
      Dry fit the shear clamps,and simply have a tight butt joint
      where they change their sweep.
      For the rub rails;I hope that you traced out its' sweep on the
      side panels,while it was laying flat on the floor, and that it was
      done "perfectly" sweet and fair. Use that line to guide your install
      of the rub rail.Beginning at the bow and with a helper holding up
      the aft end of the rubrail start by screwing the rubrail down from
      the inside out.Get a screw in say every foot or so and be most
      particular about following the traced line.A less then perfectly
      fair curve in your rubrail will stick out like a sore
      thumb,especially on a slab sided hull.As you slowly work your aft
      make sure your helper understands this as they apply a nice steady
      pressure to the rubrail.Once she is all installed,take the time to
      look her over a few times from many angles to ensure she is in fact
      perfectly fair.
      Now,working backwards,back out the screws only enough to
      release the rubrail while your helper holds the now straightening
      out end and keeps it from twisting and breaking. If you want to be
      fussy,you may wish to put a hollow on the back face of the rub rail
      before offering her up for the permanent install.Into this
      hollow,lay in your favorite poison(epoxy or 3m5200) and then proceed
      to re-install the rubrail using a few proud screws to align the rail
      perfectly back into the correct postition.
      Are you going with a one piece rubrail or two piece as on the
      plans(I think!)?

      Hope this helps.

      Peter Lenihan
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic