35493Re: phil bolger and friends

  • Jason Stancil
    Apr 1, 2004
      If i was interested in a bigger trip i should
      > > consider a LM navigator and said the conversion would be easy
      > enough
      > > to do and they could do the drawings but no one had asked.
      > I, made that very enquiry last October and have the hand written
      > response from Phil telling me they were too busy to consider a LM
      > Navigator as well as a plywood Colonel Hasler plan. It seems they
      > be caught up a bit and might reconsider it?

      Not sure about their workload but she said it would be easy enough
      to adapt the current plans with a navigator house and rig. That's
      why she had figured there was'nt much interest.....if people wanted
      it the would just do it.

      > I am very skeptical that the alternator on the 5 hp Honda and a
      > panel, will keep two 6 volt batteries charged - if they are the
      > cart batteries which I believe they recommend. However that system
      > would keep going for quite awhile with the small loads imposed by
      > lighting. A good quality 110 battery charger would also be needed,
      > for when one was in port.

      The point was to keep the electrical system simple, like the
      boat.....no microwaves here (like bruce's boat....nice touch). She
      said the alternator was pretty wimpy on the honda but it is the
      smallest outboard they know of with an alternator and could fully
      charge the batteries with a couple hours of motorsailing. The
      electrical system is intended to power LED navigation lights and not
      much more. My dad ran 2 cheap and small 5 yr old 12 volts with a 5
      amp solar panel on his stonehorse. One battery was reserved to start
      the yanmar and the other was for system electronics.......even if
      you didn't start the engine for weeks on end and ran your
      nav./anchor lights from dusk till dawn that one panel running all
      day would keep the lights running all night and battery was almost
      always @ 12.5 volts by nightfall. However if you played the radio
      all day, you could'nt make it through the night.....but that was
      with incadesent bulbs, i'm willing to bet for ever hour you burned
      the old style lights you can burn LED for 4 hrs.

      > Are there any other upgrades to the MICRO and LM plans that were
      > mentioned? Did you happen to mention the changes as recommended by
      > Peter Lenihan and get their observations? I know Phil is very
      > with LESTAT which he confirmed again to me in his fax.

      She did'nt say what the upgrades were and i did'nt ask, she just
      said my current plans are dated. Maybe she just wanted me to buy
      some more stuff? :)

      > A fully upgraded version of a LONG MICRO NAVIGATOR might be a
      > worthwhile article for MAIB magazine. Maybe including a non
      > kerphlumping rounded bow. (Is that the correct German term?)
      > It would need a whole new name. Any suggestions? Anyone else
      > interested? With a Yamaha T9.9 it would be a fully capable
      > motorsailer of some merit I would suggest and probably at about
      > the price and complexity of any other design.

      Not that i need a boat that big but it would be a sweet one, the
      space of a 30 footer for sure, is that still mico cruising?.....Nels
      what do you think of the seabird with the pilot house....it's got to
      be a little less kerphlumping than any micro could ever be.

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic