34869Re: "Lofting" side panels

  • Mark
    Mar 4, 2004
      Right. Not lofted but _expanded_ . Bolger doesn't need a computer for it, either. You can
      use the method described in Chappelle's 'Boat Building' or get Greg Carlson's free Chine
      Hull Designer program.
      http://www.carlsondesign.com/hulls.zip

      Another option, unless you are really interested in design work, is to send $65 to Karl
      Stambaugh for a thoroughly worked out version.
      Mark

      cha62759@... wrote:

      > My reading of the discussion is that you do not "loft" side panels. I
      > understand the spiling process but was hoping perhaps that the
      > accumulated knowledge of this board could tell me how to draw and cut
      > out one panel from information gained through lofting. I assume that
      > Mr Bolger uses the computer to arrive at his panel extensions.
      >
      > The Chappelle camp skiff is a hard chine sharpy stink boat. Think
      > "Redwing" which is derived from Mr Chappelle's design.
      >
      > The next question is, what computer program? Is there a relatively
      > simple program which can take the lofted information and produce the
      > panel extension?
      >
      > My last experience with this sort of problem led me to nailing a 4'x
      > 24" panel to the building molds and cutting to fit. This was a
      > decidedly dicey proposition single handed.
      >
      > Bob Chamberland
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic