34858Re: "Lofting" side panels

  • Peter Lenihan
    Mar 4, 2004
      > Peter, is it as simple as 'divide by the
      > number of planks'? Because that calculation
      > only gives you the width of each plank at
      > each station. [Not the distance of each edge
      > of the plank from the center line of the plank
      > at each station.]

      Bruce,with a fairly typical hull shape(narrow and pointy at one
      end,fat and low in the middle,and slightly narrower and higher at the
      other end) you will indeed get different widths needed for each
      plank.These widths need to be transfered onto your planking
      stock,faired up with a batten,and trimmed to those lines.The look of
      the plank before offering it up will appear somewhat skinny toward
      the stern,swelling in the middle and slightly tappering toward the
      Depending on how much shear is in the hull,alot of adjustment must be
      done with the garboard plank to ensure you get the planks off on the
      right foot.
      You do not have to transfer your chain girth measurements to each and
      every plank since,one you have established the number of planks you
      will need(sometimes best determined once you know what size planks
      are available) and establish the correct shape of your garboard
      plank, it is just a simple matter of spiling the rest of your planks
      up to the shear.
      Some hull shapes,however,will require the use of stealer planks if
      they have alot of shape to them(the hull,that is) since your plank
      ends will begin to be tapered so much that they are too narrow to
      drive a fastening into. Similarly,if you run your planking paralle to
      the water line,you'll have to "cheat" a bit toward the ends with long
      slivers of planking stock,just to meet the shear(or else have a very
      wide shear strake and be prepared to waste a lot of wood).

      > Lofting the stations, halfbreaths and waterlines
      > makes sense to me, but lofting the diagonals
      > does not!

      Diagonals are beautiful for really tweeking ones lofting as they give
      you yet another means of cross checking the fairness of your
      previously laid down lines......very useful right in the turn of the

      If only I could remember correctly everything I was taught during a
      course in lofting so many moons ago:-)

      Peter Lenihan
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic