34856Re: "Lofting" side panels

  • pvanderwaart
    Mar 4, 2004
      My guess is that most boatbuilders will abandon the loftwork as soon
      as the frames have been fabricated and set up. At that point, it's no
      longer a matter of what the designer had in mind, and more a matter
      of what size and shape the frames actually are. In other words, the
      shape would be taken from the frames, not from the planking. You
      might try to get your hands on the WoodenBoat article on the building
      of the Whittholz-designed Downeaster v-bottom powerboat. It shows how
      to build a non-instant plywood boat about as well as anything.

      I would set up the frames, rightside up, or upside down, as prefered.
      To get the shape for the planking, I would take the shape from the
      frames by making up a plank about 4" wide that is stiff enough and
      pliable enough to make a fair curve. (e.g. 3/8" ply) It should be
      long enough to go from stem to stern. Mount it temporarily along the
      mid-point of the side plank. Then, at each frame, draw a line across
      the 4" piece showing the angle at which the frame crosses it, and
      measure the length from some mark to where the edge of the plank
      needs to fall, both above and below.

      Then to mark the planking, lay the marked piece on the stock. Extend
      the lines marking where the frames will cross, and measure to where
      the edge needs to fall. You can then draw a fair line along the
      edge. ("Voila!," Peter might say.) I would leave an allowance for
      find adjustment later.

      This is basically the way a plank would be spiled for lap or carvel
      construction. Perhaps you need a book? Chapelle's Boatbuilding or
      Sewards' Boatbuilding Manual.

      Peter
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic