      From: vicskiff [mailto:john.ewing@...]
      Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 12:26 AM
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [bolger] Re: Watervan/Cabin Clam Skiff

      To tie together a couple of threads, albeit a little tardily...
      Watervan is not a sharpie, of course, but rather a further step
      along an evolutionary path from Fiddler II, mentioned earlier.
      Watervan is considerably larger, an all-indoor boat (one pilots
      Fiddler II while standing in a transverse slot aft, looking over a
      cabin with 4 feet of headroom), and adds a box keel. Fiddler II has
      long intrigued me but, insofar as I know, no plans are available,
      PCB not having taken it beyond a design exercise.

      As mentioned by others, Cabin Clam Skiff is close to the sharpie
      form but features a River Thames 'saloon launch' cabin. Vey stylish
      for a 'square boat' but lots of windage despite less-than-standing
      headroom. As I go round and round considering 'next boats', CCS
      regularly comes to the fore. But then come thoughts of how it might
      be better. And I'm really taken aback by the lack of detail -- key
      dimensions, even, and no specs sheet or materials list -- that
      Bolger provides in the blueprints.

      My 2 cents (Cdn).

      John

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "john_fader" <johnfader@b...> wrote:
      > Thanks, Nels,
      >
      > that is an interesting boat, but it doesn't come near to meeting
      my
      > requirements. First, I am not thinnking about the smallest boat
      that
      > can do the job, but rather a spread out accomodation that one
      could
      > live with permanently (while keeping overall size down to a
      reasonable
      > envelope). Second, the state series look of a past era is a firm
      > requirement. I'd rather not live if I have to live gracelessly :-)
      >
      > The above is no criticism of Watervan, but rather a complaint
      about my
      > own peccadilloes :-)
      >
      > Cheers/The Fader

      Bolger rules!!!
      - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930,
      Fax: (978) 282-1349

      _____

      Yahoo! Groups Links