34144Re: water ballast

  • Nels
    Feb 1, 2004
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David Romasco" <dromasco@g...> wrote:
      > Gee, Nels; it would seem obvious to the scientific mind that what
      you need
      > is something that meets all your needs at once, like foam ballast!
      It'll
      > also work as flotation, too.
      >
      > Y'know, I used to think I knew stuff about boats, but the things
      I've
      > learned in this group amaze me more every day!
      >
      > ;->
      >
      > David Romasco

      Me too!

      I believe you are familiar with some of John Welsford's designs?
      Which ones of his use water ballest? I recall many years ago that
      there were a series of trailer sailers from NZ that used water
      ballest and named "Hartley Trailer Sailers" Do you recall those
      designs. They were multi chine stitch and glue constrution as well.
      Very advanced for their time.

      Also Chuck Leinweber has built a Michalak design with water ballest
      tanks and loves it.

      Lots of choices for everyone.

      I plan to use water ballest and additional lead in LESTAT - in the
      form of jugs of fresh water and lead acid batteries. As well as
      additional floatation/ballest using an air mattress.

      Cheers Nels
    • Show all 47 messages in this topic