33430Re: [bolger] Re: engines

  • Don Tyson
    Jan 4, 2004
      Dave I have to confess that I don't know a hoot about motor boats, having been a sailor for many years. I assume reverse is often used at moderate speeds to slow or stop a motor boat. Reverse never worked on my sailboat on account of the boat being 8000lbs and the 8hp engine having only a 6" prop. When I hit reverse at 6 knts it took several hundred feet to stop the boat. I don't ever want that arrangement again.

      dkb715 <lburright@...> wrote:Don,

      Reverse is not very efficient. Again, I think it's because
      the "bucket" on outboards isn't very large. (The bucket is the
      piece that moves up over the jet to re-direct the water back to the
      sides.) I don't use reverse very much for this reason. If I need
      to hold myself in a current, I face into it. The other use is
      docking which isn't good.j

      I don't mean to sound too negative. I love the jet for running in
      the rivers. I can definitely go where others can't, and that's what
      it's for. For slow speed manuevering, it's not worth a hoot.

      Dave B

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Don Tyson wrote:
      > Dave B, How is reverse on your 19' Sled? Do you use reverse much
      while manuvering?

      > dkb715 wrote:
      > Don,
      >
      > I have a Yamaha 115 HP 4 stroke outboard with a jet that I have
      > mounted on a 19' sled I finished about 2 1/2 years ago. The boat
      > has a modified V hull. Some of the other replies were right in
      that
      > you lose about 25 - 30% of your power with the jet. You don't want
      > the water intake hanging down significantly below the back of the
      > transom (mine is pretty much even with it). The whole idea behind
      > the jet is to allow you to travel in shallow water. It would also
      > produce a lot of drag.
      >
      > The jet is also a real pig at slow speeds. Maneuverability is a
      > major challenge, especially when docking. The inboard jets seem to
      > be much better because they have a bigger bucket.
      >
      > Dave B
      >

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "tysond99" wrote:
      > > Happy Hollidays,
      > > I wonder if anyone in this group has experience with outboard
      > > jet drives. I have talked to designers who say that it is hard
      > > make an inboard/jet drive work smoothly because alot of air
      > > (bubbles) are trapped under the hull and consequently fed to the
      > jet
      > > pump with a poor result in propulsion. I wonder if outboard jets
      > > would work better since they can be adjusted for depth
      independent
      > > of the hull.
      > > On the Upper Delaware River where I live I see Carolina skiffs
      > > going though 6" deep water at 20-30 MPH with 100/+- HP engines
      on
      > > their transoms. Imagine how nice this might work on some of the
      > PCB
      > > sharpie boats.
      > >
      > > Don

      posts