33425Re: engines

  • doug6949
    Jan 4, 2004
      Jet drives are not very efficient in terms of power conversion but
      they are quite common in whitewater boats. The folks down in NZ have
      them figured out. I think the Kiwi brand is Shotover. Jet boats were
      also popular in Idaho for awhile. I do not recall whether they were
      sterndrive or full inboard though. My guess is full inboard because
      they routinely jump sandbars, rocks and logs with them.

      This type of propulsion is even less efficient in displacement hulls.
      If shallow water is your main concern you might consider a Thai
      longshaft. Go-Devil is a popular American rendition of this idea. They
      are incredibly easy to build.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic