33399Re: engines

  • dkb715
    Jan 3, 2004
      Don,

      I have a Yamaha 115 HP 4 stroke outboard with a jet that I have
      mounted on a 19' sled I finished about 2 1/2 years ago. The boat
      has a modified V hull. Some of the other replies were right in that
      you lose about 25 - 30% of your power with the jet. You don't want
      the water intake hanging down significantly below the back of the
      transom (mine is pretty much even with it). The whole idea behind
      the jet is to allow you to travel in shallow water. It would also
      produce a lot of drag.

      The jet is also a real pig at slow speeds. Maneuverability is a
      major challenge, especially when docking. The inboard jets seem to
      be much better because they have a bigger bucket.

      Dave B

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "tysond99" <tysond99@y...> wrote:
      > Happy Hollidays,
      > I wonder if anyone in this group has experience with outboard
      > jet drives. I have talked to designers who say that it is hard to
      > make an inboard/jet drive work smoothly because alot of air
      > (bubbles) are trapped under the hull and consequently fed to the
      jet
      > pump with a poor result in propulsion. I wonder if outboard jets
      > would work better since they can be adjusted for depth independent
      > of the hull.
      > On the Upper Delaware River where I live I see Carolina skiffs
      > going though 6" deep water at 20-30 MPH with 100/+- HP engines on
      > their transoms. Imagine how nice this might work on some of the
      PCB
      > sharpie boats.
      >
      > Don
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic