3283[bolger] Re: Primers for latex Paints?

  • Chris Crandall
    Feb 29, 2000
      On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Fritz Funk wrote:
      > I've heard Kilz often recommended, but notice there are several
      > different flavors of Kilz - anybody have good experiences to recommend
      > one or the other (or a different system) ?

      I like Kilz, and have used it on half a dozen boats, with good results.
      I use the latex/water-based version, and am quite happy. I've also used
      it on my concrete walls in the basement, and it works just fine.

      Someone recently commented that Kilz won't stay on epoxy, and in my
      experience, that is wrong. However, it will not stay on epoxy blush. So,
      you'll have to clean the blush off before painting. But no paint system
      will stay on blush.

      > I'm looking for a low-toxicity paint system (kids involved), and
      > inexpensive (instant boat). Preferably quick-curing (it IS an instant
      > boat after all) - I've heard it said that latex house paint should dry
      > a week before immersion.

      This is the case. I recommend that you paint on one weekend, and launch
      on the next. Even kids can wait for this. Plan a party. Work the kids
      to exhaustion the weekend before, so that they don't want to get out for a
      few days.

      > I must confess I've not yet tried latex exterior house paints on
      > boats...have had good results from oil-based opaque house stains on
      > instant boats though.

      Oil-based paint works reasonably well. I used off-the-shelf oil-based
      paint on my first boat, and I forget which primer. Sticks perfectly well.

      Chris Crandall crandall@... (785) 864-4131
      Department of Psychology University of Kansas Lawrence, KS 66045
      I have data convincingly disconfirming the Duhem-Quine hypothesis.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic