31555Re: [bolger] Re: Peter L: About Alisa

  • Don Tyson
    Oct 1, 2003
      Jeff, I heard up to 72 hrs for a chemical bond at the lower end of theworking temp (50 f).

      < do it within 24 hours to get a chemical
      bond or sand it very, very well. Use something like 80 - 100 grit and
      resurface the entire area so the new epoxy can get a mechanical bond.
      I would also wash with medium amonia sollution to remove any wax (seen or unseen, its there). I the glue set for more than nine or ten days I would acetone wash the glue before grinding and after grinding as this will ensure a good mechanical bond.
      > My example is very recent. Last year I started Wyoming cockpit section, two
      weeks ago I finally got around to doing the chines. I sanded well about 4
      inches either side of the chine, laid on the 3 layers of glass tape, then
      faired out and sanded again. Any place that I did not originally sand far
      enough away from the chine and it got coated with new epoxy could be chipped
      and peeled easily screwdriver tapped lightly with a hammer.

      > Without good
      prep sanding, imagine what could happen after flexing or a good bump to the
      chine. It would probably start seeping slowly.

      <My point is that while we are building, a lot of times days or weeks pass
      before we get back to our project. Picking up where we left off with out
      good surface prep can have negative effects in the future. I can think of
      several places this is very likely to happen, all with possible leakage
      problems, especially chines and centerboard trunks.