29918Re: Good motored designs for NW/Puget Sound waters?

  • Wayne Gilham
    Aug 3, 2003
      I've always lusted after the "Idaho" design.

      In particular, from all I've gathered aout it over the years, it seems to
      plane even when standing still -- especially, it doesn't dig a hole when
      increasing speed. and with essentially only a bit of froth left behind
      from your passing, the thousands of shore dwellers and anchored boaters will
      be smiling as you pass by, even (heck, especially) at full-tilt -- a far cry
      better in respect-for-others than those huge holes-in-the-water chopped out
      (and rolling over the beaches) from all them inefficient Bayliners ETC ETC
      that roil up our otherwise mostly calm waters....

      What's unclear to me is the expected performance in a chop.... some have
      said she should be smoother than expected 'cause the length supported by
      water will bridge-over the waves... others think she'll just knife THRU chop
      instead of rising up over every wave, thus not pounding (but boy could those
      straight-sided bows throw wet spray!). HEY, any Sneakeasy owners: COMMENTS,
      please!! I'd use prudence not to go out in anything over two or
      three-foot chop, just wait for the waves to subside (which up here in Puget
      Sound they almost ALWAYS do a few hours later when the current-direction
      changes to with-the-wind instead of against-it....unless it's a big storm,
      for which there's usually good advance warning)

      I'd think seriously to scale her up altogether to about 36' (was thinking of
      commissioning PCB to bless this idea or re-design it altogether-- maybe this
      winter....) especially since as-designed (for Bernie Wolfard in his
      wheelchair) she doesn't have standing headroom in the cabin, only a little
      over 5' -- and I'd hate to destroy the good proportions by just raising the
      cabintop on the existing design -- wonder what the up-scaling would do to
      Phil's usually very economical use of 4x8 plywood sheets?

      Another change for the NW would be to make the fwd & aft cockpits
      self-draining (would need a false-floor above waterline -- but that'd be
      only a couple of inches of "wasted space" higher, no?) -- else you'd be
      sponging out that last bit of rainwater a bit too often (gotta keep up that
      myth that it rains here all the time so ya all won't move here next week...
      )

      Put a good rowing boat up on the cabintop (how about a Platt Monfort
      Geodesic Ultralite whitehall? pardon the blasphemy, but the light weight up
      so high would be best for balance AND for easy-launch), a bunch of those
      ubiquitious and cheap fold-up chinese canvas-chairs, a blow-up queen-sized
      mattress with built-in inflator (deflate in the morning for more cabin room)
      a prota-potti in the aft corner of the cabin, with pull-around
      shower-curtain for privacy, A Toyoset forced-air kerosene heater (outside
      vented) -- the most expensive "bit" at about $1200 (see http://www
      toyotomiusa.com/products/cabinboatheaters/NS-2700-2.html), but essential for
      NW cruising! --and HEY, you've got a practical weekender boat WITHOUT the
      tedious construction of all that interior furniture, out cruising WEEKS
      before any of the more intricate designs.

      Am I nuts?

      Wayne Gilham