      From: Frank San Miguel sanmi@...
      Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 17:03:14 -0000
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [bolger] Re: Bruce's teal mast

      > I am also curious of opinions of
      > how to cut the sail. Leech and
      > foot straight, the luff should be
      > 'fattened' by 3" is my guess.
      > Though, perhaps the flexibility
      > of the needle thin mast might
      > be enough for the 'fattening'
      > of the sail without any special cut.

      I don't think so - especially with a bendy mast. I've found with my
      spritsail (Michalak AF3) that if I tighten the snotter too much, the
      mast bends and takes out enough of the draft (baggieness) that my
      upwind performance really suffers. In fact, I think I read somewhere
      that flattening the sail by tightening the snotter was used by old
      timers to reduce the forces in heavy winds.

      I believe there are two ways to build draft into the luff of a sail
      and my AF-3 sail has both:
      1. Sew in a foil shape. Michalak writes a lot about using "darts" to
      do this. You can also cut each panel like an orange peel so that when
      you assemble them, they come out to the right foil shape. I bought
      pre-cut panels from Sailrite and love the sail, but it wasn't cheap.
      2. Cut the luff of the sail with a slight convex bow. This increases
      the draft when the mast is straight, but when the mast bends the draft
      gets taken out. Kind of automatically de-powering when the wind
      blows. The leg-o-mutton spritsail mast also spills air from the top
      part when you heel low.

      So the bendyness of the mast probably makes a difference in how you
      cut your sail. For your mast, you might consider using the dart or
      orange peel method and put in a lot of draft (it really doesn't take
      any more time once you start sewing). Before I made my AF3 sail, I
      read all of Michalak's excellent articles and then bought "Sailmaker's
      Apprentice" The book is worth it just for the pictures and background
      info.

      Frank

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic