26833Re: motorsailer under 20'

  • pvanderwaart
    Mar 5, 2003
      > strip planked rather than carvel. - PHV
      > I'm not sure I know the difference ?!?!?

      There are lots of variations on wood construction, and they blend
      into each other but "carvel" generally means planks that are wider
      than they are thick with caulking between planks. "Strip" means
      planks that are about square in section, and glued and/or nailed
      together.

      I think a big difference is that carvel inherently allows for the
      planks to swell as they absorb water; the caulking takes the stress.
      Strip assumes the planks won't change shape. Bolger describes
      planking being forced off the frames by the stress from swelling. As
      such, strip is a more modern construction made possible by waterproof
      glues and improved by things like epoxy that help keep the wood dry.

      The downside of strip construction is that the whole hull has to be
      surface finished, i.e. planed and sanded. (True also of carvel, but
      there are fewer seams and they are not dripping glue.) As I
      understand it, strip construction got its start in Maine where
      fishermen/lobstermen used it to build their own boats. The strips
      were cheaper than yacht-quality planking lumber, and the required
      skill level was less.

      Bolger's Resolution is carvel with cedar ceiling on the inside of the
      frames, and he has often written that it is the most pleasant
      construction to live with. Not an easy boat to build, however.
      Somewhere Bolger wrote somewhere that there is a timber that twists
      90 degress between each end and the middle, and that he was glad the
      he wasn't responsible for telling Story (the builder) how to do it.

      I am not much of a boat BUILDER at all, but I do think that amateurs
      are too fixated on the apparent easiness of ply construction when
      they don't have any experience with other types. If fitting a single
      strip is easier than fitting a huge panel, as I suppose it is, then
      strip construction should be easier than ply construction. If the
      boat you want uses an other-than-ply-panel construction, then the
      best path to the boat you want may be to expand your skill set,
      rather than searching for a design in a supposedly easier
      construction.

      Peter
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic