26327Re: Peel Ply

  • wmrpage <wmrpage@aol.com>
    Feb 2, 2003
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "proaconstrictor
      <proaconstrictor@y...>" <proaconstrictor@y...> wrote:

      > For you simple experiment, I am not sure what improvement there
      would
      > be over standard flow coating. Strip canoe folks get perfect
      > finishes on smallish projecyts like canoes, and they don't monkey
      > around, just spread it out. On the flat, it is easier. Upside
      down,
      > I am not so sure. Let us know how it works out.

      You will probably not be surprised to learn that you are 150%
      correct! Finish quality on my "epoxy-over-easy-on-poly" experiment
      was much less satisfactory than simply flow coating. It's a pity in a
      way, as, if it had worked, it would have enabled me to work in an
      extra step or two for each weekend's epoxy session.

      I was concerned about getting an even thickness of the thickened
      finish coat. However, I found I could evenly spread a mayonnaise-like
      mix of epoxy and fairing filler with a 1/16" notched trowel over the
      curing glass/epoxy without any problem. The goop flowed to a nearly
      uniform coat in several minutes. I had worried that the trowel would
      tend to snag and drag the cloth, but this did not prove to be a
      problem. I did wait 30 minutes or so after rolling out the glass to
      give the epoxy time to get somewhat tacky before troweling.

      For whatever reasons, the finish coat on the "over-easy" test sample
      re-distributed itself, resulting in quite evident variations in
      thickness and an number of pits in the surface. It would have
      required a lot of sanding and some filling to give an acceptable
      surface.

      Results on a waxed formica platen would probably be better, but if
      the pits were the result of out-gassing during the cure, it would
      still give a poorer surface finish than simply flow coating.
      The "over-easy" technique has the additional defect that there is no
      way of determining what your results will be or to take corrective
      action. You don't know what you'll get until you turn the cured piece
      over.

      So, all in all, this was not a good idea.

      Ciao for Niao,

      Bill in MN
    • Show all 65 messages in this topic