25913Re: another Birdsmouth spar thread.....

  • jas_orr <jas_orr@yahoo.com>
    Jan 6, 2003
      On birdsmouth spars, there's a bit by Gil Fitzhugh about adding
      strength to a birdsmouth mast in #31. This also describes Fraser
      Howell's broken birdsmouth (no reinforcement in that one). Fraser
      has built a new one, I don't see an article about it, but the
      registry page gives his email as fraser.howell@...

      John (O'Neil, I think), a.k.a. jboatguy, also wrote up his experience
      with these spars for Chebacco News in # 32.

      Both good articles -- these issues are under "old articles" at
      Richard S's www.chebacco.com

      Jamie Orr

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Harry James <welshman@p...> wrote:
      > John, last name unknown
      >
      > jboatguy@c...
      >
      > Who has been a member of this group, has written an article about
      Birdsmouth
      > spars for Boatbuilder magazine. I had similar hesitations about a
      plug, but
      > he seemed to think there was nothing to it. You might email him and
      see what
      > he has to say, he has been very quick to answer my questions.
      >
      > HJ
      >

      > On Monday 06 January 2003 07:13 am, you wrote:
      > > Thanks proaconstrictor for feedback, and Derek and Bruce, for
      advice.....

      > > I decided to go with birdsmouth primarily to save weight, since I
      will be
      > > trailering and have to step the mast every time I want to go
      sailing, and
      > > at the same time have also commited to the optional 3' taller
      mast for
      > > better light-air performance. Everything I've read tells me a
      hollow
      > > birdsmouth mast is the best way that I, with my skills and
      equipment, can
      > > build a strong mast that will be lighter relative to other
      construction
      > > techniques.
      > >
      > > Thanks Derek for encouragement on the tapered reinforcement plug -
      I found
      > > the concept intimidating but I suppose I'll just have to jump in
      and try
      > > it, I was trying to skip an obviously important step. No need for
      > > diagram, I understand the concept, have seen it sketched
      someplace before.
      > > I do like the idea of doing a separate reinforcement for the foot
      and the
      > > partners though!
      > >
      > > Good luck Bruce on your navigator!

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic