25895RE: [bolger] another Birdsmouth spar thread.....

  • Paul Lefebvre
    Jan 6, 2003
      Thanks proaconstrictor for feedback, and Derek and Bruce, for advice.....

      I decided to go with birdsmouth primarily to save weight, since I will be
      trailering and have to step the mast every time I want to go sailing, and at
      the same time have also commited to the optional 3' taller mast for better
      light-air performance. Everything I've read tells me a hollow birdsmouth
      mast is the best way that I, with my skills and equipment, can build a
      strong mast that will be lighter relative to other construction techniques.
      My spare time and energy, not budget, are the limiting factors in this
      project and since I build boats first and foremost for my own enjoyment and
      not to save money, if it costs more to buy materials that will be satisfying
      to work with, more aesthetically pleasing, and more durable, then to me it's
      worth it. While I haven't done any careful calculations, I suspect building
      a laminated near-solid lumber mast to plans may be cheaper, but I have no
      doubts that it would be far more frustrating and also waste a great deal of
      (cheaper) material due to the low-grade lumber available to me locally,
      which would force me to waste days cutting out defects and scarfing the good
      bits back together before I could even get started laminating. I'd rather
      pay more for good wood and enjoy the work, as this is my weekend therapy to
      offset the weeks I spend in front of a computer.

      Thanks Derek for encouragement on the tapered reinforcement plug - I found
      the concept intimidating but I suppose I'll just have to jump in and try it,
      I was trying to skip an obviously important step. No need for a diagram, I
      understand the concept, have seen it sketched someplace before. I do like
      the idea of doing a separate reinforcement for the foot and the partners
      though!

      Good luck Bruce on your navigator!

      Paul Lefebvre
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic