1997[bolger] Re: FS vs. LS (was modern Light Scooner)

  • Robert N. Lundy
    Jan 26, 2000
      You know, this is one of those debates that has more merit than average.
      Everyone who sails has at some point been outgunned by a longer waterline
      attached to a pudgy hull and sails that look like yesterday's laundry.
      Usually in light/medium airs.

      The FS vs LS takes a different tack-which SAILBOAT would be faster on plane!
      Around a triangular course or even windward/leeward, I'd actually have to
      put my money on the FS in medium (non-planing) air, LS in light air (sail
      area vs. displacement), but the really interesting one would be HEAVY air.
      Also, there should be a drag race from a standing start over, say 1 mile,
      broad reaching, to determine the true speed demon.

      Just thinking of it almost makes me come unhinged (oooo...that is one awful
      pun. Should've waited on Mr. Samson for that one :) )

      Robert & Amy Lundy
      St. Petersburg, fla.
      robert@...
      amy@...