18166Re: What is a motorsailer?

  • lewisboats
    Mar 1, 2002
      the reference to 'built in' was in the order of an engine block and
      shaft type of arrangement. Not ANY kind of outboard. The engine would
      have to be mounted 'inboard' and shafted to a prop. Sorry for any
      confusion. I'm thinking of a V 6 or 8 (fuel optional) mounted in a
      motor housing, complete with shaft and propeller(sp?) extending
      through the hull and not removeable.

      --- In bolger@y..., "rlspell2000" <richard@s...> wrote:
      > So, any sailboat with a "built in" motor is a motorsailer?
      > Define "built-in".
      >
      > Obviosly, a motor hanging off the back on a dropping bracket is
      > not "built in".
      >
      > Would a free flooding motor well count? Them most big Bolger boat
      > are "motor sailors"...
      >
      > --- In bolger@y..., "lewisboats" <numbaoneman@b...> wrote:
      > > Just a little mouse's opinion, but I think I would call any boat
      > with
      > > a built in motor as a motorsailer, and any boat with sails and a
      > > small outboard as a sailboat with a small outboard. Sailboat
      with
      > > big outboard I would call 'confused' (working cargo sailers
      exempt:
      > > They do whats nescessary to make the money, so anything goes)
      > >
      > > --- In bolger@y..., "porcupinefysh" <porcupine@d...> wrote:
      > > > David Ryan's post caused me to raise this question:

      > also
      > > > think
      > > > motorsailer....
      > > >
      > > > Long ago, somebody (think it was Eric Hiscock, or one
      Herreshoff
      > or
      > > > another) said that an auxiliary sailboat should have an engine
      > that
      > > is
      > > > sized to about one horsepower per ton of displacement. If the
      > > engine
      > > > was larger, you had a 50/50 or a motor-sailer. Nowadays just
      > about
      > > > every sailboat designed has an engine of at least two
      horsepower
      > > per
      > > > ton displacement, and most have even more. Obviously, engine
      size
      > > no
      > > > longer marks a boat a motorsailer. So what distinguishes a
      > > > motorsailer? Is it a pilothouse, a small rig, or some other set
      > of
      > > > features? Is it simply that the designer or (more likely in
      most
      > > > cases) the marketing department decides to call a boat a
      > > motorsailer,
      > > > and thus it is so? Does anyone want to venture a guess?
      > > >
      > > > porky
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic