15166Re: [bolger] Stability

  • John Bell
    Oct 30, 2001
      You're in luck. The flat bottom is the easiest hull type to get on plane
      with the least amount of power. The drawback to flat bottoms is they are
      hard riding in rough water, hence the development of other planing hull
      types. The other consideration in planing is not just hull form, but weight.
      A flat light boat will plane with very little power. I've got a picture
      somewhere of a guy zipping around on an overturned library table fitted with
      about a 5 hp outboard. That table is very clearly up on plane.

      While I'm not capable of creating an exhaustive list, here is my stab at the
      pros and cons. Others will certainly join in:

      Flat bottom pros - shallow draft, good primary stability, low power needed
      for planing, easily built, makes very small wake.
      Flat bottom cons - Unstable when deeply laden, poor ultimate stability,
      pounds in rough water, blows away in crosswinds, prone to 'tripping' in
      hard, high speed turns.

      Vbottom pros - better in rough water, less sensitive to heavy loading,
      greater load carrying capacity, safer in high speed corners, higher ultimate
      stability, capable of going faster in rough water, less affected by cross
      winds.
      Vbottom cons - harder and more expensive to build, higher power requirement
      for a given speed, deep vees can be tiddly at anchor, deeper draft, bigger
      wakes.

      JB