14727Re: Redwood?

  • jonpit@yahoo.com
    Oct 6, 2001
      It is true that redwood is generally light , soft and easily splits
      along the grain. But, in many years of working with it I've noticed a
      great range of variation in the material. "Redwood" refers to Sequoia
      sempervirens - the coast redwood which is used for lumber. The Giant
      Sequoia that groes in the Sierras is another material. Old, slow growth
      Redwood tends to be a completely different material which seems denser
      across grain and less prone to split. It also has more tannins and rot
      resistance. It is readily available in large unmolested pieces from
      water and wine tanks, old beams and ext. architectural elements.

      , w --- In bolger@y..., boatbuilding@g... wrote:
      > Redwood is never mentioned as an option for boat building. I was
      > just curious as to why that may be. It has reasonable rot
      > resistance, if allowed to dry good and epoxy coated would stable. I
      > know it may not perfect but for stringers and bilge areas, would it
      > be a decent option? Epoxy coated, it would last the life a any wood
      > boat.
      >
      > Curious?
      >
      > Jeff
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic