13827Re: latex paints

  • cadbury@swbell.net
    Aug 23, 2001
      --- In bolger@y..., dbaldnz@y... wrote:
      > However, I would not use latex anywhere underwater, at this point
      > anyway.

      My AF4 is painted with (2) coats of latex primer and (2) coats
      of acrylic latex topcoat over bare plywood (not epoxy soaked).

      So far there has been no problems with the paint below the waterline
      (or above.) The boat has sat in the water for about 48 hours each
      over (3) weekends this year, with several shorter periods of
      a few hours each (day trips.) It will be in the water for about
      48 hours again this weekend.

      It is not real easy to clean the waterline "scum" off this semi-gloss
      paint, and it probably not as resistant to abrasion as a two-part
      polyurethane, but it much cheaper, much easier to recoat, and it
      is certainly not "washing off" below the waterline.

      I will use latex on my next boat, but may try the gloss instead of
      the semi-gloss.

      Max
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic