13324Re: [bolger] Re: Aircraft Carrier

  • Harry W. James
    Aug 6, 2001
      Ah Rats

      I had posted my 20 min response, and was happily following the thread
      but without any involvement. Then last night my eldest son stumbled
      across the thread and thought it was really neat. This started a
      conversation which involved quite a bit of teaching and thought on my
      part about carrier ops.

      Everything I build has been built numerous time in my head already, and
      this building is usually done at night, as I fall asleep, when I awake
      in the middle of the night with a really hot idea, or as I wake up in
      the morning. Last night I fell asleep with no thought in my mind but how
      comfy my wife felt next to me, this morning my mind awakened and there,
      unasked for, was The CIVILIAN AIRCRAFTCARRIER PROJECT. AAAH!

      I have been working on a modified Tennessee idea, same hull, but with a
      cabin more suitable to our climate. It is apparent that one of Bolger's
      concerns about these narrow power sharpies is metacentric height. As you
      increase the cabin size and height, the CG moves up making for an
      unstable hull. Putting an Aircraft Carrier deck on one is defiantly
      going to bring the CG up unless you do some really light weight
      construction.

      The walls on the house I have just finished building are foam panels
      with OSB faces, with an occasional 2x6 to carry vertical loads. For the
      Tennessee, I had thought to combine this technique along with some other
      ideas from composite homebuilt aircraft methods. I hear from Fritz Funk,
      that Seth Macinko had been talking to Bolger, and he and Susan had
      already been thinking/experimenting with this technique using veneers
      bonded to construction foam.

      My thought is a really open frame of wood, the wood being where you need
      to frame in openings, and where needed for fastening and in the case of
      cabin sides, to carry vertical loads. The spaces would be filled with
      foam, the same thickness of the wood. I would then bond veener/thin
      plywood both sides and face with fiberglass where needed for abrasion or
      weather proofing. For the carrier deck you would have to go with a
      little more solid construction on the touch down area as this method is
      not that puncture proof.

      I have some veeneers on order to use for experimentation for my
      Tennessee project, I will report back.

      Next, CAP Hull Materials, Pop up steering stations, Pilot safety gear,
      and whatever else comes up in those fertile morning hours of thought.

      HJ

      bruce_hector@... wrote:

      > I can't stop the insanity.
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic