12202Re: Multiple groundings and other tricks......

  • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
    Jun 1, 2001
      Hello cha62759,
      Gee, that is a tough one! I was schooled with books only on
      American history and though I found it strange I just assumed that my
      neighbors to the south were schooled in Canadian history.Most of what
      I know about Canadian history has been scavenged from rainy day
      visits to various museums but if you're serious,I can scounge up some
      good titles for you.
      I'll have them for you after the weekend is over.
      Sincerely,
      Peter Lenihan

      --- In bolger@y..., cha62759@t... wrote:
      > Hi Peter,
      > Off the trend of this website however in line with my coming to
      grips
      > with roots so to speak....I have recently read the only book on
      > Canadian history available in Traverse City and environs "The
      > Illustrated History of Canada" edited by Craig Brown I'm ready for
      the
      > next level of detail. Any recommendations?
      >

      > --- In bolger@y..., ellengaest@b... wrote:
      > > My first nook was the bank of the original canal dug up for
      use
      > > by the French and British during the fur trade.This little
      canal,no
      > > more then a glorified trench really,would later become the Lachine
      > > canal and serve as the gateway for opening up the rest of
      > > Canada.Pointing my bow toward the banks,I idled in toward the
      > location
      > > of the Hudson Bay Trading companys' fur warehouse.This large
      > > fieldstone building served as the"end of the line" for the many
      > > coureurs de bois(trappers) as they made their way down the Ottawa
      > > River and then down the St.Lawrence(the little stretch known as
      Lac
      > > St.Louis) with their canoes piled high with beaver pelts.Thanks to
      > the
      > > efforts of various agencies,the building remains intact pretty
      much
      > in
      > > its' original state and one can easily imagine the relief felt by
      > the
      > > trappers when they would finally lay eyes on this structure after
      > > months of nothing but forests and streams.
      > >
      > Peter Lenihan,lulled almost into dreamland by the gentle tapping of
      > > raindrops on the window,from the shores of the St.Lawrence......
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic