Need some more research subjects...for a QUICK study

  • Lynda Ransdell
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17 5:21 PM
      Hi Everyone: I hate to badger you to participate but if you're interested, we could use some more subjects for our power test study. Testing will take place on June 5 and 6 but other sessions will be scheduled depending on folks' availability. It's a relatively easy test that should take approximately 30 minutes of your time. Read on for details below...and please pass this along to anyone between 30 - 50 yrs of age who might be interested in participating.

      P.S. Hockey study graduates from this Spring, I plan to forward your results to you (pre to post intervention) in the next couple of weeks. I just finished grading I'm working my way down the "to do" list.

      On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Lynda Ransdell <lyndaransdell@...> wrote:
      Greetings Everyone:

      One of my graduate students is conducting a study on power and she is looking for recreational masters athletes. I'm hoping you may be willing to participate in this study which requires approximately 30 minutes of your time.  Read on and let me know if you are interested.

      RECRUITING PITCH:
      When participating in sports, it is very useful to know your current fitness level. There are several tests used to measure fitness. We are conducting a research project designed  to modify one of these performance tests, which measures anaerobic power or explosive movements. Knowing what your anaerobic power is for your age and gender may help you develop a training program to improve your sports performance. If you are a male or female adult between the ages of 30-50 y who participates in a recreational activity at some point during the year (hockey, skiing, mountain biking, soccer, basketball, running, etc.), exercises for 30 minutes or more 2-3 times/week, and you would like to participate in this study, please send an email to: elizabethellsworth@.... Data collection will commence June 5 and 6 so please email Liz and let her know if you're interested. We can schedule testing most any time of the day so please also let us know when you are available.

      Here is a brief description of the testing procedure:

      We need healthy adults between the ages of 30-50 years. We will give you the Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PAR-Q) to ensure that you’re ready for the testing. (NOTE: The PAR-Q consists of 4 questions related to your cardiovascular health.) Once it is determined that you are eligible to participate, you will be contacted to schedule a time to perform the lab tests described below.

      You will be asked to meet with us in the Kinesiology Building at Boise State University. You will be asked to wear work out clothes (e.g. t-shirt and shorts, running shoes). Upon arrival to the lab, you will fill out some questionnaires relating to your activity level and demographics. You will then be weighed and begin warming up for the power tests. The power tests will involve jumping from a standing position as high as you can to determine your vertical jumping distance and the time it takes you to run up one flight of stairs, skipping 2 or 3 steps at a time. Each test will be repeated 4 times.

      Please pass this along to any other individuals you know who participate in sports or recreational activities who are in the age group requested. We are trying to recruit about 65 people and we have about 20 at this point.

      Thanks! Elizabeth and Lynda