FREE Dryland Hockey Conditioning Program--Spring Session

  • Lynda Ransdell
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17, 2010

      Greetings Everyone:

      Hopefully, you're enjoying watching some Olympic hockey these days and feeling motivated to start working out even harder!! I've started another conditioning class this Spring and we need another group of individuals willing to work hard off the ice to improve their hockey skills! Although winter season is over, I'm guessing many of you are planning to play Summer league hockey (or participate in other types of activity that demand fitness)! The BSU Department of Kinesiology is offering a 5-week FREE Dryland Hockey Conditioning program.  We're continuing to pilot test the new USA Hockey endorsed conditioning program that includes dynamic warmup activities, core exercises, hockey specific conditioning (intervals), etc. Our plan is to pilot test once more and then run the full study next Fall starting in August (pre-season).  If you're a male or female adult hockey player between the ages of 18 and 60, and you want to do more to improve your hockey but can't be on the ice as much as you'd like, this program is for you.  This is a progressive program so it starts out reasonably and gets harder week after week.

      Here are the details:

      We need healthy adults between the ages of 18 and 60 y.  If you're a male older than 45 or a female older than 55, you’ll need a doctor’s note of approval to participate in a vigorous physical activity program. Plus, we'll give you the Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PAR-Q) to ensure that you're ready for the program.  (NOTE: If in doubt, get a doctor's approval.).  Once it is determined that you are eligible to participate, we will ask you to attend 2 training sessions per week for a total of 10 face-to-face sessions. We will also ask you to complete 1 training session a week at home (total of 5 sessions at home).  Sessions will be held on the following dates (Mondays and Thursdays from 6:30 - 7:30pm, just like last Fall): March 1,4,8,11,15,18,22,25 (spring break is the last week in March--don't worry, we'll have home workouts for you that don't require extravagent equipment); then April 5 & 8. We will pre- and post-test you on a battery of tests--probably a bit different from what we did in the Fall. If you can attend at least 6 of the 10 sessions AND commit to doing some workouts on your own, we will accept you into the program.

      The program is FREE of charge and the benefits include moving swiftly around your most dreaded opponent with ease or if you play defense, keeping up with the fastest forwards in the league!  OK, realistically, we’ll help you improve your hockey-related fitness including power, anaerobic fitness (sprinting ability), and core strength.  We will also ask you also to complete a few questionnaires and we'll definitely scold you if you miss a class (just kidding).  Please email me if you're interested or if you have additional questions.   Also, please pass this along this to any other hockey players you know--male or female—as we’re trying to recruit a total of 30 participants.  If you're playing on a rec team, please pass this along to all of your players.

      Thanks and keep your stick on the ice! Lynda

      --
      "You face a bright future with endless possibilities, so make no small plans"  Bethine Church after receiving an honorary doctorate at BSU Spring Commencement (2009)

      Lynda Ransdell, Ph.D., FACSM, CSCS
      Professor, Dept. of Kinesiology
      1910 University Dr.
      Boise State University
      Boise, ID 83725-1710
      208-426-1798 or LyndaRansdell@...
      OFFICE HOURS: Tu 1:30-2:30, Wed 2-3, and Th 1-3

    • Deida Malinowski
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 17, 2010
        I will give this session a try:)

        Deida

        To: boisewomenshockey@yahoogroups.com; Amandagutowski@...; amy@...; ArticRam@...; brian@...; cahoots33@...; frommjc@...; dave@...; dsc914@...; ikucherenko@...; jrueb@...; kcorn75@...; kelly.r.wey@...; latttemomm@...; linda@...; lisaloo_32@...; mark.owens@...; marypsummers@...; pembertona@...; poinier@...; ronhanson@...; shrky23@...; smanoulian@...; stacismith@...; Vultair@...; sebbink@...; sewgood625@...; icelizrd@...; lmleslie@...; brandyinboise@...
        From: LyndaRansdell@...
        Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 13:04:52 -0700
        Subject: [boisewomenshockey] FREE Dryland Hockey Conditioning Program--Spring Session

[...]

        208-426-1798 or LyndaRansdell@ boisestate. edu
        OFFICE HOURS: Tu 1:30-2:30, Wed 2-3, and Th 1-3