FREE Dryland Hockey Training Program at BSU

  • Lynda Ransdell
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2009
      Greetings Everyone:  Hockey season is just around the corner and the BSU Department of Kinesiology is offering a 5-week FREE Dryland Hockey Conditioning program.  We're pilot testing the new USA Hockey endorsed conditioning program that includes dynamic warmup activities, core exercises, hockey specific conditioning (intervals), etc.  If you're a male or female adult hockey player between the ages of 18 and 60, and you want to do more to improve your hockey but can't be on the ice as much as you'd like, this program is for you.  This is a progressive program so it starts out reasonably and gets harder week after week.  I've done the program for the past couple years and I think it is really scientifically sound and reasonable.  It really does make a difference when you can't get on the ice 24/7.

      Here are the details:

      We need a reasonably solid commitment from you for 2 days per week for an hour. The days we can get Bronco Gym are M and Thurs from 6:30 - 7:30pm. We'll also ask you to do the program one other day of the week on your own (meaning you commit to doing the program 3 x a week for 5 weeks.)  We'll pre-test your hockey-specific fitness and post-test you when you're finished to see how much you progressed.  You'll need a doctor's note of approval to exercise if you're a male older than 45 or a female older than 55. Plus, we'll give you the PAR-Q to ensure that you're ready for the program.  (If in doubt, get a doc's approval.)

      Dates for the program are the following Mondays and Thursdays:

      Sept 14, 17, 21, 24, 28
      Oct 1, 5, 8, 12, 15

      Time is from 6:30 - 7:30pm
      Cost is FREE
      Benefits are too numerous to include here!!!!
      We may ask you also to complete a few questionnaires and we'll definitely scold you if you miss a class (just kidding).  Please email me if you're interested. We'll see what the interest looks like. I hope to get a good group of at least 20 committed individuals.  Feel free to email me if you have questions.  Also, please pass this along this to any other hockey players you know--male or female.

      --
      Lynda Ransdell, Ph.D., FACSM, CSCS
      Professor, Dept. of Kinesiology