Hockey was my life.

  • Brandie LaRoque
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4 4:02 PM
      Just a quick update for all of you I have been able to
      share my hockey experiences.
      As most of you know the last 2 years have been
      difficult for me on the ice. What most of you don't
      know is how much of the pain I hid and tried to fight
      through. The fight is over and the mind has conceded
      to the body.
      I have been on crutches for over 2 weeks now with what
      doctors thought for a stress fracture in the femoral
      neck (hip). Turns out that isn't it...I have a labral
      tear (tendon tear on the hip joint), bursitis (bursal
      sac becomes inflamed, each time the tendon has to move
      over the bone, pain results). These things will heal
      in about 6-14 week of zero weight bearing of the right
      leg. But there is another reason I will never be able
      to lace up my skates again and it's because I have
      degeneration of the hip. Which means the cartridge in
      my hip joint is wearing about and causing some of my
      pain. Doctors are giving me 5-10 years if I am
      extremely careful before I have to have a complete hip
      replacement.
      I know what I will miss the most and it won't be the
      skating. It will be everyone I joke with in the
      locker room. The pitchers of beer shared after a
      game. The crazy dancing at the Yacht Club, the stair
      sledding (so worth it, right Moonie!) The nauseating
      drive to McCall and some of the worst/best singing I
      have ever heard.
      Please take care of yourselves and listen to your body
      when it hurts. I am too young to start needing new
      parts. I will miss you guys.

      The skater formally known as Brick
    • gigi
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 6 5:39 AM

        Brandie,

        Though I have stayed clear of much of the women's drama as of late I do miss the old times with the Riveters and your high energy and positive personality. I'm sorry to hear about your hip. I do not know what I would do if I hurt myself to that extreme. If I'm ever playing with a women's travel team again your antics will be remembered and you are always welcome to join off the ice! Good luck with your healing and if your ever really bored we can have a craft night=) Cheers, Gretchen

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6 7:07 AM
          Thanks Gigi,
          I too miss the Riveter's season. I do enjoy the
          memories and they help get me through.

        • L Becker
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 8 6:16 PM
            Brandie,
            I'm so sorry, I don't know what it will be like without you!
            I remember the cheerleading coaching with Aylee and how you were always so positive no matter what!
            I do feel your pain in knowing the time I went through with my shoulder and physical therapy.
            It will never be the same but the year without hockey was even worse!
            At least you are being smart and looking to your own future, I know i went too far playing with the pain too!
            Don't stay away, we'll miss you too much!
            Lisa