  • Lynda Ransdell
    Jan 24, 2012
      Hi Folks: I'm writing to see if I can generate any more interest in dryland training. Right now, we have 5 people signed up. If we can't get at least 20, I don't think we can run this program this semester. Team reps, if you'd be willing to send this to your team, that would be great! Start your recruiting!!!  Also, please note that this semester is different from last semester in the following ways:

      1) We are not doing a study, so attendance can be at your convenience (although we hope you'll be motivated to come as often as possible and first priority will be given to those who can come most often). Also, we won't ask you to do questionnaires, but we will pre-post test you on the physical tests.
      2) We will add some more new activities and continue with the existing ones. Stick handling and TRX training will take on a new meaning!
      3) The program will last 6 weeks instead of 8 so it better coincides with our semester schedule
      4) There will not be as many conflicts with facilities as last semester since volleyball is not in season and does not have games on M/W nights.
      5) If you're not training for hockey, why not train for your other spring/summer sport?!?!?!

      Dept. of Kinesiology Sports Performance Program:

      FREE Hockey Player Dryland Training

      Dear Talented Hockey Player:

      We're at the mid-point of hockey season so you may be looking for that "extra edge" for playoffs. Once again, the BSU Department of Kinesiology is offering a FREE 6-week Dryland Hockey Conditioning program.  We're continuing to develop effective ways to train hockey players off the ice and we need your participation.  Typical sessions consist of dynamic warmup activities, speed/agility/quickness drills, core and strength exercises specific to the movements we do in hockey, and hockey specific conditioning (intervals), etc.  If you're a male or female adult hockey player between the ages of 18 and 60, and you want to do more to improve your hockey but can't be on the ice as much as you'd like, this program is for you.  This is a progressive program so it starts out reasonably and gets harder week after week.  We've done the program for the past couple years it is really scientifically sound and reasonable.  It really does make a difference when you can't get on the ice as much as you'd like.

      Read on if you want more details….

      THIS IS NOT A STUDY (AS IT HAS BEEN IN THE PAST), SO YOU CAN COME AND PARTICIPATE AS YOU HAVE TIME!  We would like a reasonably solid commitment from most of you for 2 days per week for an hour over a 6-week period. We will be training Mondays and Wednesdays from 7:00 - 8:00pm in the Bronco Gym and Kinesiology Annex Weight Room starting on February 13 and continuing until March 21st. We'll also ask you to do "dryland conditioning homework" one other day of the week on your own (meaning you commit to doing the program 3 x a week for 6 weeks.)  We'll pre-test your fitness and post-test you when you're finished to see how much you progressed.

      Please email me (LyndaRansdell@...) if you're interested or if you have questions. We will offer the program to the first 30 who respond--and we need to have at least 20 participants to make this work.  Also, please pass this along this to any other hockey players you know--male or female.  We will make a decision by Feb 1st so reply early if you would like to participate!

      Thanks, Lynda

      Lynda Ransdell, Ph.D., FACSM, CSCS
      Professor, Dept. of Kinesiology
      1910 University Dr.
      Boise State University
      Boise, ID 83725-1710
      208-426-1798 or LyndaRansdell@...
      Spring 2012 Office Hours: Mondays 1:30-3:30pm; Tuesdays 10-12 noon; Wednesdays 11-12 noon or by appointment

      This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic