furnace

  • jsls121
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2013
      Does anyone in our neighborhood know of an HVAC person who works on the original furnaces that some of us still have in our homes? Ours decided to quit and the person we used a few years ago is no longer around. We may have to have it removed and a central unit installed, but thought we would try to keep it going for a while longer.

      Thanks,
      Stewarts on Doty
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 13, 2013
        Hi, are you speaking of the wall furnaces?  I have three and have always gotten the best help from the Gas Co.  No lie.  Just call to set up a (free) inspection and be really happy and nice and tell them you want the BEST guy around and that you are willing to wait for an appointment with the "best."
        I'm pretty sure they know who the "best" is, 'cause I've gotten him two years in a row when I say that.  He's a handsome, tall, middle-aged black gentleman that is just great.  So very informative and kind.  Hope he hasn't retired as that would definitely be a shame.  The Gas Co. phone # that I have used is, 1-800-427-2200.
        I have looked in my receipts and business cards for his name and number but sorry, no trace.  The only other thing I could recommend is a plumber that I just found that I LOVE.  To make a long story short, let's just say that this plumber worked long and strong to fight off the naysayers in the industry that thought I was incorrect about the specs. I had for a certain item. Other plumbers could have cared less.  His name is Rudy and he owns (I think) NO LIMITS PLUMBING.  Phone: 800 469-9909.  If he can't help you, I'm pretty sure that he can point you in the right direction, I trust him A LOT.  Tell him Ms. Parker on Fonthill sent ya.  I wish you the best, especially since it's so wicked cold!  Take care and let me know, K

        On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 3:05 PM, <jsls110@...> wrote:

        Does anyone in our neighborhood know of an HVAC person who works on the original furnaces that some of us still have in our homes? Ours decided to quit and the person we used a few years ago is no longer around. We may have to have it removed and a central unit installed, but thought we would try to keep it going for a while longer.

        Thanks,
        Stewarts on Doty

      • Lawren Freebody
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 15, 2013
          Since we all have 50's houses with poor insulation, I'll share this bit of personal experience. I turned off my gas heater a few years ago and purchased a small radiant heater for my home office. The one I got is from Optimus and operates at 800 Watts. I got it on Amazon for under $40. There might be better alternatives out there now.

          I was paying over $120 a month to heat my whole house in the winter and that went down to under $15 when I found I could get by on a smaller local heater. Not everyone can do this, of course. My bedroom was still cold tho so I got an electric blanket on the Walmart website and buy yourself an electric blanket. They have the best prices and the electric blankets are very safe now, not like they used to be.

          Stay warm and Merry Christmas,
          Lawren Freebody

          144th & Doty

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 16, 2013
                  Hi Kim,

                  I spend most of my time in my home office so it was a waste of money and energy to heat the whole unoccupied house. After I got my electric blanket I checked my electric bill thinking it would be much higher but it hadn't changed a bit. I can't figure that out exactly but I'm not complaining.

                  Lawren

                  ****

                  Hi Stewarts on Doty,

                  I hope it works out for you. Here's the model I got and I got one for a friend for Christmas last year. We've both been real happy with the amount of heat it puts out, and it's very light weight: http://www.amazon.com/Optimus-H-5511-Infrared-Quartz-Radiant/dp/B00EOSNGPA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1387226668&sr=8-7&keywords=Optimus+h-5210&tag=ffradnmm07-20

                  It's a popular winter item. They sell out every year.

                  Lawren