Special Council meet of Nov. 15.

    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 18, 2013
      The mayor called for a special council meet to FIRE all 5 Planning Commissioners. At that meeting the Mayor and Council members English and Vargas voted to fire all 5 Planning Commissioners. The Mayor and 2 council members never said why they wanted to fire all the commissioners. Jim on 144th st.
    • Katheryne Koelker
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 18, 2013
        Mayor Juarez wants to fire all the planning commissioners? Any idea why?

        And when are the new people sworn in?
        On Mon, 11/18/13, Jim & Kathy Radek <jimbokat@...> wrote:

        Subject: [BodgerPark] Special Council meet of Nov. 15.
        To: "BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com" <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>
        Cc: "Joe & Sheri Mazzotta" <jsmazzotta@...>, "Frances Littlejohn" <tfac10@...>, "Mo Trott" <MOMO90250@...>

        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 18, 2013
          One on talked about why, they just voted and fired them all.

          To: "BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com" <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>
          Cc: "Joe & Sheri Mazzotta" <jsmazzotta@...>, "Frances Littlejohn" <tfac10@...>, "Mo Trott" <MOMO90250@...>

          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 18, 2013
            Sounds suspect to me....

            To: "BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com" <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>
            Date: Monday, November 18, 2013, 2:39 PM

            From: Katheryne Koelker
            <flyingbug@...>

            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 18, 2013
              Yes I do to. I liked thhe commissioners,. I felt that they listen to us and cared what we had to say.

              Date: Monday, November 18, 2013, 2:39 PM

              From: Katheryne Koelker
              <flyingbug@...>

              <jimbokat@...> wrote:

              To: "BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com"
              <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>

              Cc: "Joe & Sheri Mazzotta"

              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 18, 2013
                All the Planning Commissioners were excellent, placing common sense and resident's concerns over pressures from developers.

                I have yet to receive a response that makes sense from the elected officials that I have spoken to.

                Nuts!!

                Jose C. Gutierrez

                Date: Monday, November 18, 2013, 2:39 PM

                From: Katheryne Koelker
                <flyingbug@...>

                <jimbokat@...> wrote:

                To: "BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com"
                <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>

                Cc: "Joe & Sheri Mazzotta"

                Date: Monday, November 18, 2013, 2:30 PM

                The

                mayor called for a special council meet to FIRE all 5

                Planning Commissioners. At that meeting the Mayor and

                Council members English and Vargas voted to fire all 5

                Planning Commissioners. The Mayor and 2 council members

                never said why they wanted to fire all the commissioners.

                Jim on 144th st.

              • Martinez, Rosalinda
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 18, 2013

                  Hello Jose,

                  Call me.

                  Rosalinda Martinez

                  Community Liaison Officer

                  City of Hawthorne Administrative Office

                  Community Services

                  (310) 349-1646

                  Date: Monday, November 18, 2013, 2:39 PM

                  From: Katheryne Koelker
                  <flyingbug@...>

                  <jimbokat@...> wrote:

                  To: "BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com"
                  <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>

                  Cc: "Joe & Sheri Mazzotta"

                  Date: Monday, November 18, 2013, 2:30 PM

                • ayso.bigdog@att.net
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 18, 2013
                    Jose,
                    Thanks for getting back to me in considering a planning commissioner appointment.
                    Danny

                    Date: Monday, November 18, 2013, 2:39 PM

                    From: Katheryne Koelker
                    <flyingbug@...>

                    <jimbokat@...> wrote:

                    To: "BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com"
                    <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>

                    Cc: "Joe & Sheri Mazzotta"

                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 18, 2013
                      You and another elected official have tried to get me to apply for a Planning Commission position, an offer that I have refused.

                      The current planning commissioners have performed well in defending overdevelopment as well as siding with residents when it comes to voting against high density developments.

                      The latest issue was the high density project with a drive through on Yukon. The planning commission voted unanimously 5 to 0  to not approve this plan.

                      The builder appealed to the City Council, and the council overruled the planning commission, voting to approve the drive through.

                      Why not take the opportunity of this venue to explain to the residents of Bodger Park your reasons for voting to approve the drive through project, and also give them an explanation for removing the planning commissioners.

                      Jose C. Gutierrez

                      Date: Monday, November 18, 2013, 2:39 PM

                      From: Katheryne Koelker
                      <flyingbug@...>

                      <jimbokat@...> wrote:

                      To: "BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com"
                      <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>

                      Cc: "Joe & Sheri Mazzotta"

                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 19, 2013
                        Thank you Jose. I appreciate your response and candidness. I too would expect the Mayor to offer an explanation; not have one requested.  To not offer such, and continuing to operate in a cloak of silence only raises suspicion & flies in the face of democracy, not to mention common courtesy, as those decisions have had & will have an impact on our quality of life; albeit adversely.

                        Thank you.

                        Respectfully,

                        Paul Balaschak, 20 year resident & homeowner in Bodger Park.

                        Date: Monday, November 18, 2013, 2:39 PM

                        From: Katheryne Koelker
                        <flyingbug@...>

                        <jimbokat@...> wrote:

                        To: "BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com"
                        <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>

                        Cc: "Joe & Sheri Mazzotta"

                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 19, 2013
                          I apologize for sending this twice, as the version I received did not have any content??
                          __________________________
                          Thank you Jose. I appreciate your response and candidness. I too would expect the Mayor to offer an explanation; not have one requested.  To not offer such, and continuing to operate in a cloak of silence only raises suspicion & flies in the face of democracy, not to mention common courtesy, as those decisions have had & will have an impact on our quality of life; albeit adversely.

                          Thank you.

                          Respectfully,

                          Paul Balaschak, 20 year resident & homeowner in Bodger Park.

                          On Nov 19, 2013, at 12:36 PM, Paul Balaschak <pgbnyc62@...> wrote:

                          This message has no content.
                        • ayso.bigdog@att.net
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 19, 2013
                            When the 100% affordable housing project with drive-through in a mixed use overlay zone came to the Planning Commission it was not approved.  The 100% affordable housing project is allowed by right within the Hawthorne Municipal Code and state law.  No discretionary approval is required.  The Planning Commission's scope was to review the developer's concessions only but the commission went beyond their scope of work was perceived as delaying the project.  This was cause for the developer to consider taking legal action against the city.  This is millions of dollars that the city does not have to spend.  The developer agreed to all the changes in concessions posed by the Planning Commission and was approved administratively.  This did not come before the city council.
                            The drive-through restaurant was denied by the Planning Commission. Many came before the commission including the Hawthorne Chamber President Patricia Donaldson to opposed the McDonald's Restaurant.  The decision was appealed to the city council.  At the public hearing the council heard both sides including representatives from McDonald's.  During the public hearing, Hawthorne Chamber President Patricia Donaldson did an about face and testified that she spoke to over 400 businesses owners and surrounding homeowners.  She stated that they all approved the drive-through at that location.  Council members weighed heavily everyone's testimony but more importantly on the chamber's outreach program and her personal endorsement of the project. The McDonald's representatives were asked a number of questions.  After thoughtful consideration, the vote was unanimous.
                            Unfortunately, day's after the meeting I talked to the McDonald's consultant Mr. Adams.  He reveled to me that Hawthorne Chamber President Patricia Donaldson did not tell the truth about talking to the 400 businesses owners and surrounding homeowners.  Had we known this fact, the council may have voted differently.
                            As far as the Planning Commission changes, this was done as a result to talking to several people during the recent campaign. Many expressed interest in serving on this commission.  All of the current commission was appointed by the previous mayor and have served well.  In the spirit of moving forward with new idea's and giving others an opportunity to serve the change was made at the meeting.  I did extend an invitation to a current member to re-apply.  There is a new application that was released from the attorney's office, a background check and new live scan requirement.

                            Date: Monday, November 18, 2013, 2:39 PM

                            From: Katheryne Koelker
                            <flyingbug@...>

                            <jimbokat@...> wrote:

                            To: "BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com"
                            <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>

                            Cc: "Joe & Sheri Mazzotta"

                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 20, 2013
                              Thank you for the response. However, I feel as though it is insufficient in light of the allegation of false & misleading information used to render the final decision.  Why would this knowledge not preclude a re-discussion of the decision, specifically if the decision weighed heavily on those false statements.  Where are ethics, and civil responsibility?  I am not a lawyer, however if the alleged misrepresentation were made during the course of a legal proceeding, the knowledge of false testimony would give cause for dismissal of charges, or at least a retrial???

                              In addition, why has the individual that made the alleged misrepresentation held accountable???

                              Lastly, there are other areas in our City available to absorb the type of mixed use, affordable housing/multi-family units instead of our already overpopulated and congested area?? Let's say for instance the Hawthorne mall, or along el segundo blvd west of the 405?  There are also open lots on Imperial.  I understand zoning codes may have to be changed; but isn't that a consideration to be made?

                              Paul Balaschak

                              Date: Monday, November 18, 2013, 2:39 PM

                              From: Katheryne Koelker
                              <flyingbug@...>

                              <jimbokat@...> wrote:

                              To: "BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com"
                              <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>

                              Cc: "Joe & Sheri Mazzotta"

                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 20, 2013
                                This is a question for the new council (mayor only).  Perhaps a group of Bodger Park residents can ask the council to re-consider because they were misled by her testimony at the public hearing.  One thing I forgot to mention on why she had a change of heart in supporting the McDonald's project was a potential of a campaign contribution to her assembly race next year. I was told that after their meeting she handed the McDonald's rep a campaign contribution envelope.
                                The new mayor will have to come up to speed on this matter as he just moved into the city on November 9th after the election from his Westchester home.

                                Date: Monday, November 18, 2013, 2:39 PM

                                From: Katheryne Koelker
                                <flyingbug@...>

                                <jimbokat@...> wrote:

                                To: "BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com"
                                <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>

                                Cc: "Joe & Sheri Mazzotta"

                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 21, 2013
                                  Isn't it a little useless for us resident to say any thing. After the Council passed a new municipal code giving the developer all the concessions and the right to use the restaurant parking as parking for his multi unite low income 127 unit building.  You say that the Planning commission had no right to vote against this. And it looks like that the voices of the residents didn't count also. So  the commissioners went against  what the council  and the developer wanted and they got fired. So were do the residents go to have some one hear our voices. It's was not THIS council. And if this is a question for the new mayor then why did you fire the commission?

                                  Date: Monday, November 18, 2013, 2:39 PM

                                  From: Katheryne Koelker
                                  <flyingbug@...>

                                  <jimbokat@...> wrote:

                                  To: "BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com"
                                  <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>

                                  Cc: "Joe & Sheri Mazzotta"

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 21, 2013
                                    Thank you!!!

                                    Paul Balaschak

                                    Date: Monday, November 18, 2013, 2:39 PM

                                    From: Katheryne Koelker
                                    <flyingbug@...>

                                    <jimbokat@...> wrote:

                                    To: "BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com"
                                    <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>

                                    Cc: "Joe & Sheri Mazzotta"

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 19, 2013
                                      The new Mayor, Chris Brown, has replaced the planning commission again.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 19, 2013
                                        Yea, the old Mayor fire the commission the Friday before his last meeting. Then he replaced them with people he wanted. So the new Mayor wants to pick his own commissioners.

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 19, 2013
                                          http://www.dailybreeze.com/government-and-politics/20131218/hawthorne-removes-its-planning-commissioners-for-the-second-time-in-two-months

                                          The Hawthorne City Council held a special meeting Tuesday night to remove the city’s five planning commissioners, who were hurriedly appointed last month by outgoing former Mayor Danny Juarez.

                                          Chris Brown, the city’s new mayor, said he called the meeting to remove the commissioners Juarez appointed before leaving office because it wasn’t fair that the former commissioners were removed so suddenly.

                                          Councilman Alex Vargas and Councilwoman Angie English, who supported Juarez last month, voted against Brown’s motion to remove commissioners that Juarez put in place earlier this month. Council members Olivia Valentine and Nilo Michelin supported Brown, who said he will review applications before appointing new commissioners.

                                          — Sandy Mazza

                                          To: "BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com" <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>