Our May-June 2013 water bill spike - 3x normal price - did this happen to you?

  • Lisa Haley
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 12, 2013
    Dear Neighbors:

    I have now heard from 2 other households who experienced the following:

    - After years of "average" water bills,
    - May-June 2013 water bill was 3 times the normal amount!
    - I am attaching our bill - see the huge "spike?"
    - If your water bill looks like this, please contact me ASAP:

    I am now putting together facts to give the NBC News "investigate" show.
    This show specializes in exactly this kind of suspicious city/county activity
    They have exposed several scams, and gotten folks their money back.

    If YOU had a water bill in May-June that was abnormally high, please contact me ASAP.

    Details if you care to read:

    I immediately called the water utility after receiving this bill.
    A very nice rep named Mike opened our water meter, and after a few minutes, declared that
    "we have no water leak."

    He suggested that we "just used a lot of water" during the May-June billing period.
    (I informed him that we were even out of town for 2 weekends in late May.)

    Additional info:
    Several of us have had horrible "sludge" come out of the taps in the recent past.
    Our neighbor has kept an "official water company" sealed jar, containing "sludge" that came out of his shower tap. After investigating, the water co gave him the jar back... now it's evidence.
    Did anyone else have this experience?

    Regards,
    Lisa

      Message 3 of 18 , Nov 13, 2013
        Lisa,

             Sounds quite unfair.  Who are the two others that are getting reamed?  Where exactally do you live in our neighborhood?

        [Attachment(s) from Lisa Haley included below]

        Message 4 of 18 , Nov 13, 2013
          Lisa,

               Do you live in Bodger?  Where?

               Sorry, your last mail is just so different from all my area.

          Message 5 of 18 , Nov 13, 2013
            Do y'all know this gal?  She could be all ways to straight up but sounds fishy, hope I'm wrong.

            Message 6 of 18 , Nov 13, 2013
              Yes we know Lisa, she is a good friend! Lives around the block from us . For about 10+ years now.

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 7 of 18 , Nov 13, 2013
                Lisa has been my next door neighbor for at least 10 years.

                Sent from my Galaxy S®III

                Message 8 of 18 , Nov 13, 2013
                  We know Lisa too from her great Zydeco music!

                  Message 9 of 18 , Nov 14, 2013
                    I know her, Kim. Andy and Lisa live down the block from me and a few blocks from you.

                    To: "bodger park" <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>
                    Date: Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 5:25 PM

                    From: Lisa Haley <lisahaleymusic@...>
                    Message 10 of 18 , Nov 15, 2013
                      Well, after all those great referrals she seems to be quite stellar!  My apology to Lisa and my thanks for informing us about this issue.  Now I'm wondering about this sludge she mentioned, I haven't noticed anything like that.

                      Wondering if anyone has taken the time to map out the area this seems to be occurring in?  With only a few homes experiencing this and in such a small and clearly defined neighborhood such as ours, I would think that maybe it would give both us and the water company a bit more insight.

                      Taking a map of Bodger (like the one in the Breeze, from the Thomas Guide) and then placing an "x" on properties where there is either sludge or a spike in water bills (including dates) would, I think, give us a good visual of where our problem is.  If I was any good w/computers (and I mean ANY good) I would give it a shot myself.  Just a suggestion.

                      Well, thanks for keeping us up to date. K

                       To: "bodger park" <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>
                       Date: Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 5:25 PM

                           From: Lisa Haley <lisahaleymusic@...>
[...]

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          BodgerPark-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          BodgerPark-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    • lee messenger

                         Date: Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 5:25 PM

                        Message 12 of 18 , Nov 16, 2013
                          Which 146th Street are you on? There are two: one facing Prairie (near Leuzinger) and the other off Yukon (near Bodger Park).

                          Katie (near Bodger Park)

                          To: "BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com" <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>
                          Date: Saturday, November 16, 2013, 8:31 AM

                          wrote:

                          I know her, Kim.
                           Andy and Lisa live down the block from me and a few
                          blocks from you.

                          On Wed, 11/13/13, Kim Parker <loca107.1@...>
                          wrote:

                           Subject: Re: [BodgerPark] Our May-June 2013 water bill
                          spike - 3x normal price - did this happen to you?

                           To: "bodger park" <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>

                           On Tue, Nov 12, 2013

                               From:
                          Lisa Haley <lisahaleymusic@...>

                            To: "bodgerpark@yahoogroups.com"

                          Message 13 of 18 , Nov 20, 2013
                            Lee,

                                 Are you saying that you HAVE had this sludge problem in the past?  And GSW said that it was caused due to your home being at the end of a line?  Seems to me that whether one's home is located at the beginning or the end of a line they should all get the same quality of water.  They don't give you a discount, do they?  Didn't think so.

                                 As far as flushing out the lines, I see this done fairly often.  It's sad to see because it seems such a waste, but it also is indicative of the fact that the water company knows that this needs doing on a regular basis to prevent the sludge issue at "end of the line" properties.  Have you asked for them to do this again soon?  Or are they totally ignoring you now?

                                 I'm fairly sure that with a few well-placed phone calls and some research on-line you can get the location of where they flush your line; probably the dates of their doing such w/i the last year or two as well.  I'm sure that the GSW  Co. has a timetable of when flushes are to be done; perhaps someone dropped the ball, if you get my drift.

                                 I wish you well and thank-you for your activisim and hard work.  As usual, keep us informed. K

                                 .

                             To: "bodger park" <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>
                             Date: Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 5:25 PM

                            Message 14 of 18 , Nov 20, 2013

                              Thanks Jim & Kat!

                              It appears that this water bill phenomenon may be isolated to homes East of Doty.

                              News at 11!

                              Regards,
                              Your neighbor Lisa

                               To: "bodger park" <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>
                               Date: Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 5:25 PM

                              Message 15 of 18 , Nov 20, 2013
                                Yes,  I have personally experienced the black sludge problem. At one point I emailed my contact at GSW when I smelled foul water and asked them to flush. I also commented that I thought their superiors had given orders not to communicate with any of the neighbors regarding the sludge problem. The flush was taken care n of the next day and if course there was no reply from my contact.

                                Sent from my Galaxy S®III

                                 Date: Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 5:25 PM

                                Message 16 of 18 , Nov 20, 2013

                                  Hi Everybody:

                                  Ha!

                                  Jim & Kat, I certainly don't blame you for being cautious about letting a "stranger" see your water bill:)

                                  better safe than sorry. :)

                                  Thanks so much for the "vote of confidence," Katheryne! :)

                                  Maybe since I've now heard from several neighbors, it would be best to ask the NBCinvestigates team to see the evidence?

                                  - Lee's "official Water Co sealed" sludge jar

                                  - 4 or 5 neighbors' water bills

                                  - various neighbors' accounts of our experience with Water Co reps, our own sludge, smells, and most important, 3x normal water bills for May-June.

                                  For everyone in Bodger Park who is not having these issues, I apologize for the inconvenience of having to listen to the rest of us - we'll try to move this water subject to NBC, and just give you a report when it's over.

                                  Regards,

                                  Your neighbor Lisa

                                  What does everyone think?

                                   To: "bodger park" <BodgerPark@yahoogroups.com>
                                   Date: Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 5:25 PM

                                  Message 17 of 18 , Nov 20, 2013
                                    Hello to all!!!

                                    I haven't experienced the sludge, however, when I first moved to the neighborhood 4 years ago, my water did smell alot like gasoline???  I chalked it up to old pipes and it is not happening now nor has it recently but I do appreciate hearing about the goings on in our neighborhood and city and will support your efforts where appropriate.

                                    Your neighbor, Mike @ Fonthill & 147th.

                                    Mike Rosenberg