Search the world for lace

  • Witchy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2011
      Over the past week I've been having fun looking on the internet for lace inspirations by going on web browsers' "Images" sections. But it seemed I was seeing the same thing over and over from Google and Yahoo.

      Then I had an idea. Look on Google for other countries. Use the word for "lace" in the language of the country. It's amazing what comes up!

      Just spent the last hour on www.google.cz (Czech Republic, I think), using the word "krajka" as a search. I also keep a window open with Google Translate at the ready... www.translate.google.com. A quick cut and paste into the text box gives me a translation that's good enough to get an idea of what the site is about. If you're not sure of the language it has an auto-detect feature that will find it for you.

      For other countries, add the following after www.google.___

      CODE COUNTRY SEARCH WORD(S)
      BE Belgium see German and Dutch words
      DE Germany kloppeln or Klöppelspitze
      ES Spain encaje
      DK Denmark kniplinger
      FR France dentelle or dentelle aux fuseaux
      NE Netherlands kant or kloskant
      SE Sweden spetsar or knypplade spetsar
      SK Slovenia èipke
      UK Great Britain lace or bobbin lace

      There's a world of lace out there...just need the time to find it.

      Enjoy!

      Peg
    • Witchy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2011
        --- In bobbinlace@yahoogroups.com, "Witchy" <wtchywmn9@...> wrote:

        > SK Slovenia èipke

        It didn't pick up one of the words correctly when I sent the message.

        The Slovenian word should be cipke.

        Enjoy!!!

        Peg
      • Andrea Lévai
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 5, 2011
          Thank you! And in hungarian ( H Hungary): lace = csipke. bobbin lace = vert
          csipke

          I hope, it helps :)

          Andrea from Hungary

          www.csipke-csoda.blogspot.com

          2011/6/4 Witchy <wtchywmn9@...>

          > Over the past week I've been having fun looking on the internet for lace
          > inspirations by going on web browsers' "Images" sections. But it seemed I
          > was seeing the same thing over and over from Google and Yahoo.
          >
          > Then I had an idea. Look on Google for other countries. Use the word for
          > "lace" in the language of the country. It's amazing what comes up!
          >
          > Just spent the last hour on www.google.cz (Czech Republic, I think), using
          > the word "krajka" as a search. I also keep a window open with Google
          > Translate at the ready... www.translate.google.com. A quick cut and paste
          > into the text box gives me a translation that's good enough to get an idea
          > of what the site is about. If you're not sure of the language it has an
          > auto-detect feature that will find it for you.
          >
          > For other countries, add the following after www.google.___
          >
          > CODE COUNTRY SEARCH WORD(S)
          > BE Belgium see German and Dutch words
          > DE Germany kloppeln or Kl�ppelspitze
          > ES Spain encaje
          > DK Denmark kniplinger
          > FR France dentelle or dentelle aux fuseaux
          > NE Netherlands kant or kloskant
          > SE Sweden spetsar or knypplade spetsar
          > SK Slovenia �ipke
          > UK Great Britain lace or bobbin lace
          >
          > There's a world of lace out there...just need the time to find it.
          >
          > Enjoy!
          >
          > Peg

        • Saskia
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 5, 2011
            that is class…

            There I have also still another question to it…

            how does the pattern/ Collecting main/ Working drawing (in german:
            Klöppelbrief)
            in other languages call itself???

            Love of greetings Saskia

            Liebe Grüße von Saskia