New bobbin lacer

  • Aimee C
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 31, 2010
      Hello all! I'm new to the group and wanting to learn bobbin lace. I don't have any supplies or instruction yet and am wary about how hard it will be to learn on my own, but I have taught myself to knit, crochet, spin, and quilt from a book so I'm going to give it a shot. :-)

      I would appreciate any input on what are the best instructional books to buy as well as the best beginner bobbins. I want to start out on the right foot.

      So glad to be part of this group, and I know I'm going to learn a lot from y'all.
      A bit about myself--I'm a stay-at-home mother with 2 small girls and our first son due in January. I've been bitten hard by the lace bug, and am also learning to tat. My other favorite hobbies are knitting and cross-stitching with lace and socks being my favorite things to knit.

      Aimee
      knitmama
    • Sue
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
        Hello Aimee,
        I would suggest that you might type Jo Edkins into your search engine and that will bring you up a whole sellection of interesting reading and visual pics as well as some movement. She shows the movement of the bobbins which is would have helped me understand it much earlier before I began my lessons. I still enjoy looking in to see what she is doing and showing. There are also a number of places to see how to make your own pillows and bobbins, or buy instead, (but unfortunately I cant think where they are at the moment, so hopefully others will help you out with those).
        Good luck, it is a lovely hobby.
        Sue T
        Dorset UK

        Hello all! I'm new to the group and wanting to learn bobbin lace. I don't have any supplies or instruction yet and am wary about how hard it will be to learn on my own, but I have taught myself to knit, crochet, spin, and quilt from a book so I'm going to give it a shot. :-)

        I would appreciate any input on what are the best instructional books to buy as well as the best beginner bobbins. I want to start out on the right foot.

        So glad to be part of this group, and I know I'm going to learn a lot from y'all.
        A bit about myself--I'm a stay-at-home mother with 2 small girls and our first son due in January. I've been bitten hard by the lace bug, and am also learning to tat. My other favorite hobbies are knitting and cross-stitching with lace and socks being my favorite things to knit.

        Aimee
        knitmama

      • mavis williamson
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
          Hi Aimee; I too am a newbie (started last Oct.) I found that the torchon
          lace workbook by Bridget M Cook was very helpful. There are 10 lessons in
          the front and a bunch of patterns in the back of it. It also follows the
          cross twist method which most books do (a few do twist cross). I was lucky
          enough to find a couple of ladies here in Owen Sound that are experienced
          lacemakers and have benefited greatly from their help and advice. Here are
          some sites you may wish to check out for equipment, books, etc.
          snowgoose.com; lacysusan.com; vansciverbobbinlace.com; finethreads.com I
          found that Snowgoose had the cheapest starter set and I like the Midlands
          bobbins because the spangles keep them from rolling around, which is very
          annoying for a newbie. Hope this helps you. If you are anywhere close to
          Owen Sound, Ontario you are very welcome to join us every week. Mavis.

          On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Aimee C <knitmama@...> wrote:

          > Hello all! I'm new to the group and wanting to learn bobbin lace. I don't
          > have any supplies or instruction yet and am wary about how hard it will be
          > to learn on my own, but I have taught myself to knit, crochet, spin, and
          > quilt from a book so I'm going to give it a shot. :-)
          >
          > I would appreciate any input on what are the best instructional books to
          > buy as well as the best beginner bobbins. I want to start out on the right
          > foot.
          >
          > So glad to be part of this group, and I know I'm going to learn a lot from
          > y'all.
          > A bit about myself--I'm a stay-at-home mother with 2 small girls and our
          > first son due in January. I've been bitten hard by the lace bug, and am also
          > learning to tat. My other favorite hobbies are knitting and cross-stitching
          > with lace and socks being my favorite things to knit.
          >
          > Aimee
          > knitmama

        • Sue Babbs
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
            Hi Aimee
            Welcome to the group, and this new craft.

            I am guessing from your email address that you live in the United States, and possible the Texas area. If you tell us where you live, there may be someone near you who can give you some advice as you get started. You will also find the lace list at Arachne helpful. It has many more members than this list. To subscribe send email to majordomo@... containing the line: subscribe lace your@.... For help, write to arachnemoderator@...

            There are some more bobbin and tatting lessons and videos at this website,
            http://www.tat-man.net/bobbinburg/howtoBL/howtoBL.html

            You can learn from a book, but it is one of the more challenging textile arts and a teacher is helpful. If there are no classes near where you live, then absolute basics for learning are:
            Pillow
            Minimum of 30 Bobbins
            Pins
            Cardstock
            Thread
            Beginner's book

            I would recommend:
            "Beginner's Guide to Bobbin Lace" by Gilian Dye & Adrienne Thunder

            It is a fairly new publication and is incredibly clear. It covers equipment and techniques, with photos of each step, and is available from Amazon..

            Lace suppliers in the USA, which spring to mind quickly are:
            http://www.lacysusan.com/index.html

            http://www.vansciverbobbinlace.com/

            http://www.lacemakerusa.com/

            http://www.snowgoose.cc/

            Snowgoose's kit is very good. If you think about getting this, I would suggest getting the 18" pillow, as the 16 inch is too small to be any use in the long term. If you can afford a block pillow from the outset, this would probably serve you best long term, as you can work long lengths of lace more easily on a block pillow than a cookie pillow, and it is also fine for turning corners, which a roller pillow isn't.

            Lacy Susan carries very good quality square bobbins: international square pear bobbins - they are continental but don't roll because they are square! This makes them much easier to work with than continental bobbins, less pretty than English Midlands, but a lot cheaper than them! When I last looked they were $17.95 per dozen. They are nice and smooth to work with.

            I understand that the kit which one can get at JoAnn's or Lacis is not adequate for more than the initial lesson, and so isn't worth the money. I have not seen it, but I have seen a lot of comments on it, and mine is the polite, sanitized version!

            Another useful site if you like in the USA: http://www.internationaloldlacers.org/index.html

            If you live in another country, you may well prefer to belong to that country's guilds.

            Keep asking questions, we are happy to answer

            Sue Babbs

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
              Aimee,
              You are welcome to look at my beginner bobbinlace instructions on my website
              that will walk you through the steps and show you how to make your own
              supplies:

              http://www.tat-man.net/bobbinburg/howtoBL/howtoBL.html

              Good luck and welcome to the group!!!

              --
              Mark, aka Tatman
              website: http://www.tat-man.net

              On 10/31/10 9:22 AM, "Aimee C" <knitmama@...> wrote:

              > Hello all! I'm new to the group and wanting to learn bobbin lace. I don't have
              > any supplies or instruction yet and am wary about how hard it will be to learn
              > on my own, but I have taught myself to knit, crochet, spin, and quilt from a
              > book so I'm going to give it a shot. :-)
              >
              > I would appreciate any input on what are the best instructional books to buy
              > as well as the best beginner bobbins. I want to start out on the right foot.
              >
              > So glad to be part of this group, and I know I'm going to learn a lot from
              > y'all.
              > A bit about myself--I'm a stay-at-home mother with 2 small girls and our first
              > son due in January. I've been bitten hard by the lace bug, and am also
              > learning to tat. My other favorite hobbies are knitting and cross-stitching
              > with lace and socks being my favorite things to knit.
              >
              > Aimee
              > knitmama
            • Lorelei Terry
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2010
                Aimee
                Welcome to bobbinlace. It will give you a lifetime of pleasure. The Jo Edkins site and tatman's site are both good places to start looking. I also recommend one particular page in my website
                http://lynxlace.com/learningbobbinlace.html has a lot of information aimed at beginners, including book suggestions.

                If you live in the U.S. I recommend these two suppliers:
                http://www.lacemaking.com/ for bobbins
                http://www.vansciverbobbinlace.com/ for pillows & books

                Happy hunting.
                Lorelei
              • Aimee C
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 2, 2010
                  Sue, thank you so much for this wealth of info! Snowgoose's kit looks like just what I need. Maybe it will be a Christmas present to myself.
                  What is the difference between the Continental bobbins and the spangled ones? Which ones are better for a beginner or is it just a matter of preference?
                  I live in a small city in Texas and haven't found any location near me that has an instructor. The closest I've found is about 5 hours away. Luckily, I have y'all and the rest of the wonderful invention of the internet to help me muddle my way through. :-D

                  Aimee

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 2, 2010
                    Already done, Mark. That's actually how I came to develop an interest in bobbin lace and join this group--I was looking at your information on tatting and found your bobbin lace section.
                    Your videos are excellent, by the way. :-)

                    Aimee

                    --- In bobbinlace@yahoogroups.com, Tatman <tatman@...> wrote:

                    > Aimee,
                    > You are welcome to look at my beginner bobbinlace instructions on my website
                    > that will walk you through the steps and show you how to make your own
                    > supplies:
                    >
                    > http://www.tat-man.net/bobbinburg/howtoBL/howtoBL.html
                    >
                    > Good luck and welcome to the group!!!
                    >
                    > --
                    > Mark, aka Tatman
                    > website: http://www.tat-man.net
                    > blog: http://tat-man.net/blog
                    > Magic Thread Shop: http://www.tat-man.net/tatterville/tatshop/tatshop.html
                    > email: tatman@...
                    > Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tatmantats
                    >

                    > On 10/31/10 9:22 AM, "Aimee C" <knitmama@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hello all! I'm new to the group and wanting to learn bobbin lace. I don't have
                    > > any supplies or instruction yet and am wary about how hard it will be to learn
                    > > on my own, but I have taught myself to knit, crochet, spin, and quilt from a
                    > > book so I'm going to give it a shot. :-)
                    > >
                    > > I would appreciate any input on what are the best instructional books to buy
                    > > as well as the best beginner bobbins. I want to start out on the right foot.
                    > >
                    > > So glad to be part of this group, and I know I'm going to learn a lot from
                    > > y'all.
                    > > A bit about myself--I'm a stay-at-home mother with 2 small girls and our first
                    > > son due in January. I've been bitten hard by the lace bug, and am also
                    > > learning to tat. My other favorite hobbies are knitting and cross-stitching
                    > > with lace and socks being my favorite things to knit.
                    > >
                    > > Aimee
                    > > knitmama

                  • Aimee C
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 2, 2010
                      Mavis, thank you for the encouragement and advice. :-)

                      I wish I could join y'all, but I'm in Texas. That would be quite a trip for a lacemaking get-together. lol ;-D

                      Aimee

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 3, 2010
                        Continental bobbins roll on your pillow, which can be an advantage when working some laces. You learn to manipulate them in a different way from spangled ones. Many people here in America learn using them from scratch.

                        Being English and learning in London, I was "brought up" on Midlands bobbins with spangles on the bottom, so I favour those. I had been using them for many years before discovering that there were continental bobbins!

                        Spangled bobbins don't roll much on the pillow, so don't gain or lose twists. Overtwisting is not too much of a problem with bobbin lace. It makes the thread slightly thinner, but doesn't curl back up on itself as it would if you were using a needle and thread. Losing twists can lead the thread to weaken and break, which is a major problem! So I prefer the spangled bobbins for this reason. However they tend to be more expensive than the continentals. Also it is slightly easier to make sewings (you'll learn about these eventually) with continental bobbins. I don't find much difference, but then I had worked sewings with spangled bobbins for so long before trying continental ones that I had the technique off pat.

                        The solution to not rolling but not needing beads is the international square pear bobbins - they are continental but don't roll because they are square! This makes them much easier to work with than continental bobbins, less pretty than English Midlands, but a lot cheaper than them!

                        So you might want to buy the pillow from one supplier and the bobbins from another!

                        You might think about joining Arachne to see if there is a Texan lacemaker near you. There are also many more, experienced lacemakers on that list than this one. Yahoo is hte obvious place for beginners to find a lace list, but it came about a long time after the Arachne list and so is much smaller.

                        Keep asking questions!! Hope you get your kit for Chirstmas (and then have some time to use it with your baby boy arrviing in January!)

                        Sue

                      • irene_surrey
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 4, 2010
                          Hello Aimee,

                          Welcome to the group!

                          I was googling lace in Portugal and came up with a lace groups blog from Texas.

                          http://alamobobbinlacers.blogspot.com/

                          Thought it might be of interest to you,

                          Irene Whitham
                          Surrey, BC