I'm new

  • Ilse Depaepe
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 22, 2010
      Hello everyone,

      I just joined this group so dropping in to say hello to everyone.

      I've been making lace for about 30 years now since my Mum taught me. I'd
      love to start a small online business but I still need to figure out how to
      do this.

      I don't really have a favourite type of lace as long as it is bobbin lace.

      On a personnal note, I'm from Mechelen, Belgium. I have one son, Jorge of
      13 and one dog, Echy who is 5. No husband.

      Speak soon again.

      Ilse D.

    • Darlene Werstuik
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 15, 2013
        Hello everyone,

        I just joined the group and so will do a bit of an introduction. I live in
        Burns Lake BC Canada and I'm happily retired so finally have time to do all
        the fibre related things that I love. I am a weaver, spinner, knitter,
        crocheter and a very novice bobbin lace maker. The problem is I want to do
        so many different things. I have two alpacas who contribute to my fibre
        passion. I had a friend in Prince George showed me how to do a twist and
        cross and I've gone on pretty much alone since. I do have a number of
        pillow, plenty of bobbins and some books that I bought from a senior who was
        no longer making lace. Now, I need to spend the time to improve my skills.
        I've also bought a few newer books and patterns.

        Darlene Wainwright
        darlene_w@...
      • Rebecca
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 15, 2013
          Welcome Darlene, good luck with your new addiction. ;-)

          --- In bobbinlace@yahoogroups.com, "Darlene Werstuik" <darlene_w@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > I just joined the group and so will do a bit of an introduction. I live in
          > Burns Lake BC Canada and I'm happily retired so finally have time to do all
          > the fibre related things that I love. I am a weaver, spinner, knitter,
          > crocheter and a very novice bobbin lace maker. The problem is I want to do
          > so many different things. I have two alpacas who contribute to my fibre
          > passion. I had a friend in Prince George showed me how to do a twist and
          > cross and I've gone on pretty much alone since. I do have a number of
          > pillow, plenty of bobbins and some books that I bought from a senior who was
          > no longer making lace. Now, I need to spend the time to improve my skills.
          > I've also bought a few newer books and patterns.
          >
          > Darlene Wainwright
          > darlene_w@...

        • Darlene Wainwright
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 19, 2013
            Actually I've had the 'stuff' for quite awhile but life and such got in the
            way so it has been sitting.

            My first, of many I'm sure, question. I bought two leaflets by Ulrike
            Voelcher on makes bobbin lace jewelry. I love the designs and would like to
            try them. The patterns are printed on a large sheet of heavy paper that is
            about the size of 8 legal sheets. My problem is each pattern needs to be
            enlarged 125% and they are not fitted to a single sheet size - they are
            scattered about to fit. As I put this into print it occurred to me that I
            could copy each sheet from the instruction side then do the same with the
            pattern side. I could then tape the patterns together and individually
            enlarge them to the required size. Am I making this more difficult than it
            is? Tips, hints - all much appreciated.

            Darlene wainwright
            Darlene_w@...

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 19, 2013
              Darlene
              I've had books like the one you describe, also. If it were me I would try to copy each pattern onto its own piece of standard size paper. Then take those and enlarge them.

              Basically try to avoid having a pattern split between 2 different sheets of paper. Trying to get the pattern taped together exactly as it should be is very difficult, almost impossible.

              I assume you are taking this to a photocopy place. I suppose it doesn't matter if you are scanning it in with a flatbed scanner or making paper photocopies. It matters when you do enlargements. Some scanners or photocopy machines start the enlargement from one edge, rather than starting from the middle. You need to be aware of this as you center the pattern you are trying to enlarge.
              Lorelei

            • Darlene Werstuik
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 20, 2013
                Good advice, I will try and get an image of each design onto a single sheet
                and go from there. I actually did take it to a local printer and they kept
                it for a week and didn't get it done as it was too time consuming so I
                brought it home. If I can't get the photocopier at the library to do it I'll
                wait until I'm able to get to the next town with a Staples and do it there.
                I have found their staff helpful when I've had to do weird photocopies, the
                trouble is it is a 2 1/2hour drive each way so I don't get there often.

                Darlene Wainwright
                darlene_w@...

                _____

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 20, 2013
                  That plus wanting copies at ten o'clock at night is why I bought my own copier. It's just a little cheap thing but it's paid for itself many times over. And it will print on card stock.

                  Cynthia