RE: [bobbinlace] Re: Using covered bobbins

  • Karen Zammit Manduca
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2009
      Thanks Christa - I'll go and have a look at the photos.
      Karen

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 1, 2009
        Karen, when the bobbin is hanging from the pillow the covered part is on the bottom, and the thread runs through the top of the bobbin cover and then is slip knotted around the little top end.  All the thread is under the cover except the strand that runs through the top of the bobbin cover and is slip knotted around the top little knob.  When you want to make your thread longer or shorter, you turn the skinny end one way or the other.  Is this helping?  I don't have a digital camera so I can't send a photo.  I hope to get a digital cameral soon though.  If you are having trouble let me know.
        Marilyn

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2009
          Karen and Christa, that is exactly how my bobbins are hung on the pillow.  Does my explanation make more sense  now that you can see the picture?  Christa, where do you find your German bobbins?  You mentioned to don't care to use them.  I love to use them because they roll so nice.  I have bobbins that 100 years old and are just satin smooth from the person's hands that have used them through the years.
          Take care and happy knueppeling.
          Marilyn
          Karen, this is Christa in Virginia, USA. I am originally from Germany so I decided that I needed to set up a German pillow (even so I really don't like to use the bolster pillow or the hooded bobbins). I uploaded 3 pictures into the file "Christa's lace". Unfortunately it put it there in a different sequence. You can see the whole pillow and how the bobbins are hanging. The middle picture shows how the thread is wound on the bottom. The third picture shows how the thread has to go through the hood which then slides onto the stick part of the bobbin. If you wind the second of a pair continuously you have to go through the second hood before you wind the second bobbin.

          Hope this helps.

          Christa

          --- In bobbinlace@yahoogro ups.com, "Karen Zammit Manduca" <kazaman@... > wrote:

          > Marylin - you mention that you use covered bobbins.
          >
          > Please can you explain how you wind the thread and hang them in general. I
          > bought a few of these bobbins to use with the more delicate threads, but I
          > haven't yet worked out how to use them! It is natural for me to use bobbins
          > with the thinner side at the top and thread wound on that part, but if I do
          > that with the covered bobbins, then the covers slip out. Perhaps you can
          > tell me more.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Karen in Malta.

        • Karen Zammit Manduca
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 1, 2009
            Between Christa's photos and Marylin's explanation it is now clear how these
            bobbins are used. Thanks so much both of you.
            Karen