Re: Lace thingy around the throat on 18thC old ladies

  • cskizer
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2009
      Thank you all for your responses. I have seen it called a collier with a jabot and also as a fichu. I just wish there were directions for making it. It appears the collar part me be separate fromt the jabots, as they appear to be made from two strips of lace, while the collar appears to be a pleated width of one piece.

      Carolyn

      --- In bobbinlace@yahoogroups.com, "cskizer" <cskizer@...> wrote:

      > http://marquise.de/en/1700/pics/1760_5.shtml
      >
      > Can anyone tell me what this lace thingy is called and is there an online pattern or instructions for its making, not the type of lace, but how one would sew the lengths of lace together to make this item? It almost looks like to me a long length of lace folded in half, draped around the neck and then the ends of the lace are pulled through the loop-fold, like a scarf worn at the throat of a tweed jacket today.
      >
      > Thank you,
      > Carolyn

    • Sue
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2009
        I would think that a piece of lace with a double headside (I think they call it a galloon) dont quote me on that I haven't time to check in the book <grin>

        A slightly gathered length of that on a ribbon, fastened at the back with a couple or more little buttons and loops and then another piece of pretty lace could be attached at the centre front. I think could make something similar.
        Interesting thought.
        Sue T

        Thank you all for your responses. I have seen it called a collier with a jabot and also as a fichu. I just wish there were directions for making it. It appears the collar part me be separate fromt the jabots, as they appear to be made from two strips of lace, while the collar appears to be a pleated width of one piece.

        Carolyn

        --- In bobbinlace@yahoogroups.com, "cskizer" <cskizer@...> wrote:

        > http://marquise.de/en/1700/pics/1760_5.shtml
        >
        > Can anyone tell me what this lace thingy is called and is there an online pattern or instructions for its making, not the type of lace, but how one would sew the lengths of lace together to make this item? It almost looks like to me a long length of lace folded in half, draped around the neck and then the ends of the lace are pulled through the loop-fold, like a scarf worn at the throat of a tweed jacket today.
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Carolyn

      • cskizer
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2009
          Thank you, Sue--I can visualize what you are describing--and I think it might just work!

          Carolyn