I have a question

  • susiehomeschooler
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
      Hi Everyone,

      In all the bobbin lace supplies, there is always wax offered. Am I
      suppose to be running my linen threads through the wax before winding
      on bobbins? What is the wax for? And when should it be use?

      Susan
    • Cynce Williams
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
        ??

        Maybe for waxing your sewing thread when you mount your lace on a
        piece of fabric?

        I certainly wouldn't wax the thread I was lacing with.

        Cynthia

        On Oct 1, 2008, at 2:17 PM, susiehomeschooler wrote:

        > Hi Everyone,
        >
        > In all the bobbin lace supplies, there is always wax offered. Am I
        > suppose to be running my linen threads through the wax before winding
        > on bobbins? What is the wax for? And when should it be use?
        >
        > Susan

      • Sue Babbs
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
          The wax is to facilitate pricking the pattern. As you go, stab the picker in to the wax from time to time. It's supposed to help. personally I don't bother with it.

          Wax paper underneath your pricking is also supposed to be a help, but again I don't use it.

          Don't run your thread through the wax. It won't help with the lacemaking

          Sue
          In all the bobbin lace supplies, there is always wax offered. Am I
          > suppose to be running my linen threads through the wax before winding
          > on bobbins? What is the wax for? And when should it be use?

        • Susan Swett
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
            That makes sense, thank you

            The wax is to facilitate pricking the pattern. As you go, stab the picker in to the wax from time to time. It's supposed to help. personally I don't bother with it.

            Wax paper underneath your pricking is also supposed to be a help, but again I don't use it.

            Don't run your thread through the wax. It won't help with the lacemaking

            Sue
            In all the bobbin lace supplies, there is always wax offered. Am I
            > suppose to be running my linen threads through the wax before winding
            > on bobbins? What is the wax for? And when should it be use?

          • Stephanie
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
              Hi Susan,
              I have no idea were the wax is used for, I am lacing since 1991 and I
              have never used wax with my lace. Would like to know why we should use
              it :-)
              Have a nice day!!
              Stephanie (Enschede, Netherlands)

              Op 1 okt 2008, om 21:17 heeft susiehomeschooler het volgende geschreven:

              > Hi Everyone,
              >
              > In all the bobbin lace supplies, there is always wax offered. Am I
              > suppose to be running my linen threads through the wax before winding
              > on bobbins? What is the wax for? And when should it be use?
              >
              > Susan
            • Achim Siebert
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
                Hello Susan,

                > What is the wax for? And when should it be use?

                Somewhere I read that in former times the prickings where made on top
                of a layer of wax. In said book where even instructions how to prepare
                this. Probably I found this information in one of the old books at "http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/completelist.htm
                ".

                Or you can use a coating of wax on your pricker, like Sue suggested.
                It helps for inserting the pins and prevents rust as I understand.
                Another source recommended to roll or push an old candle around on the
                pricking before use - for the same effect.

                Best, Achim.
              • Sue
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008

                  > I have used a wax block a couple of times for my pricker, it made it
                  > easier to get into the card. Mostly I dont bother though, so its sits
                  > inactive in my box.
                  > My husband has used it on thread to prevent tangling for beadwork
                  > quite successfully in the past though.
                  > Sue T,
                  >>

                  >> Maybe for waxing your sewing thread when you mount your lace on a
                  >> piece of fabric?
                  >>
                  >> I certainly wouldn't wax the thread I was lacing with.
                  >>
                  >> Cynthia
                  >>
                  >> On Oct 1, 2008, at 2:17 PM, susiehomeschooler wrote:
                  >>
                  >> > Hi Everyone,
                  >> >
                  >> > In all the bobbin lace supplies, there is always wax offered. Am I
                  >> > suppose to be running my linen threads through the wax before winding
                  >> > on bobbins? What is the wax for? And when should it be use?
                  >> >
                  >> > Susan

                • Flame of the Northern Shore
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 6, 2008
                    There are also some waxes that are used to clean and protect wooden
                    bobbins...

                    http://commerce.idmi.net/ecommerce/catalog_detail.asp?
                    CID=169&CI=2484&PI=22769

                    Is this what you're seeing?