introduction

  • Stephie
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 5, 2008
      Hello my name is Stephanie, 43 years young, and I live in Wisconsin
      near Green Bay. I am the mother of four including one who is currently
      serving in the US Army and just returned from Iraq. He will soon be
      sent to Afghanistan as the military refocuses its strengths there.

      At present I am in Hamilton, Ohio taking care of my mother who has
      brain cancer and I spend a great deal of time at her bedside working on
      different projects. I am an avid tatter, crocheter, knitter, bobbin
      lacemaker, teneriffe lacemaker, and hairpin lacemaker. Teaching myself
      Celtic Tatting is my latest venture into the realm of laces.

      I live and breathe the world of fine threads and have yet to turn down
      a challenge to learn even more.
    • Luz Maria
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 20, 2010
        Hi: My name is Luz Maria Setlock, I currently live in Elma, N.Y. (Elma is a
        township of Buffalo). I was born in Colombia South America, came to the
        United States as a foreign exchange student, make my husband and he went to
        Colombia after a year and we got married there. I came back to the States
        after all my papers were in order and have been here every since, we have 3
        grown up children and 2 grand children.

        I grew up with needle work and enjoyed all aspects of it very much. I am
        hoping to learn bobbin lace and wish to join your group.

        Thank you .

        Luz Maria

      • Debora Lustgarten
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 20, 2010
          Hola and welcome, Luz!
          I'm a Venezuelan, living in Toronto (a couple of hours away from you)
          for the past 15 years.
          Bobbin lace is an addicting hobby and I have no doubts you will like
          it. Please feel free to ask the list whenever you have questions on
          technique, materials, etc.
          Although there are several Spanish-speaking people on this lit, if
          you wish to know about lists and websites in Spanish, let me know.
          Welcome and hope to hear from you soon!

          Debora Lustgarten
          Toronto, Canada
        • Dorte Tennison
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 20, 2010
            Hello Luz Maria

            Welcome in the group, you will find out we are an international bunch of
            people, who will be able to help you on your way in your progress in
            learning bobbin lace

            Dorte Tennison from a snowy Denmark

            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 21, 2010
              Hi Luz Maria---I had a pen pal from Bogota Columbia, when I was a young girl, named Luz Maria Vasquez. I lost track of her after a huge earthquake there in the early 1960's. Your name reminded me of her and the wonderful letters we exchanged back then.....

              welcome to the group. I have enjoyed bobbin lace for many many years and hope you will too.
              mary

              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 13, 2010
                Hi my name is Angela, I'm 41 years old and live in the north east of England. I have only been lacemaking for about 10 months but absolutely addicted to it, did torchon bobbin lace for the first term and now on to needle lace enjoying both equally. It would be great to pick the brains of you more experienced lace makers.
              • JOHN STOREY
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 14, 2010
                  Hi Angela, I live in the north east too, Hexham, where are you? I'm a beginner as well.
                  Kind regards
                  Janet

                  ________________________________
                  Hi my name is Angela, I'm 41 years old and live in the north east of England. I have only been lacemaking for about 10 months but absolutely addicted to it, did torchon bobbin lace for the first term and now on to needle lace enjoying both equally. It would be great to pick the brains of you more experienced lace makers.

                • Angela Fenwick
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 14, 2010
                    Hi Janet,

                    I live in Stanley, just south of Newcastle, where do you do your lacemaking then?

                    Luv Angie xx

                    To: bobbinlace@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 15, 2010
                      Hi Angie,
                      I am self taught, that's why it is taking me so long to learn it.
                      I have been playing around with lace making for years, but only this year it seems to have clicked into place and I finally understand it. I have been able to make stuff following instructions from books but with no real understanding of why I am doing a foot-side like this or a spider in this particular way, it was just like following a knitting pattern.
                      I have just discovered the pleasure of making Bruges lace, its so easy after Torchon. Its great for making items wholly of lace, lots of flowers and scrolls.
                      I also like needle lace, but finding time to do it at the moment is difficult, but I am a member of the needle lace guild. I have intentions of doing some stump work which uses needle lace quite a lot, I don't think one lifetime is enough to do all the things I want to do.
                      Kind regards
                      Janet