Re: What are they?

  • Brenda Paternoster
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2008
      Thank you to Jean, Beth, Janet, Diana, Adele, Bev and Claire for your
      comments which I have passed on. The general opinion is that the
      "bobbins" are stilletos or awls used for broderie anglais or Ayreshire
      work and that the rings were either curtain rings or button forms.

      Brenda

      > I have been sent a photo of some "lace bobbins and lace rings" which
      > came from two elderly Dutch ladies who said they are ivory. I
      > personally don't think they are ivory or lace bobbin but would be
      > interested to know what anyone else thinks they are/were used for.
      > Please have a look at
      > http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/lace/query.htm

      Brenda in Allhallows, Kent
      http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/index.html
    • Theresa Threadgill
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 14, 2008
        They arer like nothing I have seen used in bobbin lace.  I work with a couple of ladies that are very good at it and they also said nice but not bobbins not sure what the rings are for either.

        Theresa of Bordermarch

        Thank you to Jean, Beth, Janet, Diana, Adele, Bev and Claire for your
        comments which I have passed on. The general opinion is that the
        "bobbins" are stilletos or awls used for broderie anglais or Ayreshire
        work and that the rings were either curtain rings or button forms.

        Brenda

        > I have been sent a photo of some "lace bobbins and lace rings" which
        > came from two elderly Dutch ladies who said they are ivory. I
        > personally don't think they are ivory or lace bobbin but would be
        > interested to know what anyone else thinks they are/were used for.
        > Please have a look at
        > http://paternoster. orpheusweb. co.uk/lace/ query.htm

        Brenda in Allhallows, Kent
        http://paternoster. orpheusweb. co.uk/index. html

      • Esther
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 14, 2008
          > I have been sent a photo of some "lace bobbins and lace rings" which
          > came from two elderly Dutch ladies who said they are ivory. I
          > personally don't think they are ivory or lace bobbin but would be
          > interested to know what anyone else thinks they are/were used for.
          > Please have a look at
          > http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/lace/query.htm

          Brenda, I have an almost identical "lace bobbin" in my sewing box, taken
          from my mother's sewing box, and quite possibly from her mother's. Nothing
          to do with lace at all: My mother and grandmother both used them to poke
          underneath basting stitches to make it easier to pull basting threads out -
          in the days garments were still "properly" basted before being stitched
          permanently.

          As to the rings, I think there's a good possibility they were curtain rings.

          (I'm also Dutch, but at early 60's, don't count myself as elderly yet ;-) )

          Esther