New Bobbinlace member

  • Robin Paceley-Geiger
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 9 11:07 AM
      Hello

      My name is Robin Geiger and my husband was the one who found this wondeful website. He suggested to go there and ask many questions since I do not have a bobbin group in our area except for the Land of Lincoln Lace Makers.

      I am 43 years old and I am a mother of a four year old, married for four years. Been into Civil War reenacting for over 11 years and my favorite hobby is raising chickens, reading, writing, cross stitching, and trying out a new hobby, lace making.

      I am just getting started with getting the materials and learning from it online sites and self help books. Sometimes it helps to have a person there to see what I am doing wrong or easier way of doing it. I have a lot to do to get the materials since I got six bobbins from Ebay, hopefully get more, and hubby made a homemade pillow for it by using builders foam and hoop (hopefully it can stand the wear and tear of needles) and looking around for pin needles, threads at my local JoAnn, Wally World and Hobby Lobby stores.

      Thanks for inviting me and I sure hope to learn a lot from you!

      Robin Geiger
      Decatur, IL

    • Marji Sakievich
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 9 3:17 PM
        Oh what fun you are in for. I use pins from Joann's. The super fin Sharp Pins, size 20, 1 1/4" long. A lot of people like the Clover ones but they don't carry them.

        Marji

        > My name is Robin Geiger and my husband was the one who
        > found this wondeful website. He suggested to go there and
        > ask many questions since I do not have a bobbin group in
        > our area except for the Land of Lincoln Lace Makers.
        >
        > I am 43 years old and I am a mother of a four year old,
        > married for four years. Been into Civil War reenacting for
        > over 11 years and my favorite hobby is raising chickens,
        > reading, writing, cross stitching, and trying out a new
        > hobby, lace making.
        >
        > I am just getting started with getting the materials and
        > learning from it online sites and self help books.
        > Sometimes it helps to have a person there to see what I am
        > doing wrong or easier way of doing it. I have a lot to do
        > to get the materials since I got six bobbins from Ebay,
        > hopefully get more, and hubby made a homemade pillow for it
        > by using builders foam and hoop (hopefully it can stand the
        > wear and tear of needles) and looking around for pin
        > needles, threads at my local JoAnn, Wally World and Hobby
        > Lobby stores.
        >
        > Thanks for inviting me and I sure hope to learn a lot from
        > you!
        >
        > Robin Geiger
        > Decatur, IL

      • Cynce Williams
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 9 3:51 PM
          Hi Robin,

          I'm Cynthia and I'm in Alton--not that far.

          First of all you need a minimum of 12 bobbins--or as we count, 6
          pairs. And you'll soon be wanting lots more ;-) My favorite beginning
          book is an old standard: Doris Southard's *Bobbin Lacemaking*. Oh, i
          see they've changed the title to *Lessons in Bobbin Lacemaking*. There
          are a bunch of sources on line. My favorite is Holly Van Sciver
          Van Sciver Bobbin Lace & Lacemaking
          She has her phone number on her home page and she's quite willing to
          advise you. Lovely lady. No affiliation, etc.

          You can start out with tatting cotton. Otherwise most laces want
          something finer--this is NOT a fast skill. Learning it, on the other
          hand is no big deal.

          Let me know if I can help you with anything lacewise.

          Cynthia in Alton, IL

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 9 3:56 PM
            While I'm thinking about it: Somebody just mentioned the de Dillmont
            needlework book. There's a section on bobbin lace. If you haven't
            anything else, it'll get you started in background (ground) stitches.
            I think one or two other needlework encyclopedias also have chapters
            on bobbin lace.

            Cynthia

          • nljmail@wideopenwest.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 9 4:17 PM
              If you don't mind a REALLY long drive, L.A.C.E. meets in the South Chicago suburbs.� I like Lacy Susan & Van Scriver's for shopping for lace stuff.

              The�cheap bobbins are around a�$1 a piece with $2 being a bit more normal at most lace shops.� I usually just go with the cheapest ones, they've lasted for years & years.� Here's a great beginning site.� Snowgoose has some cheap pillows... I don't�know what builder's foam is, but ethafoam is what most people use for cheap pillows,�since the foam has a 'memory' and closes up the pin holes.� It's really light, if you take it to�reenactments (if they allow it?� Don't know if�bobbin lace was made in the�US during the Civil War or not).� You just carve it into a flat dome�shape, put a�piece�of plywood underneath and a�dark colored cotton cloth on top & voila! a pillow (or if you are as lazy as�I am, you just take a piece of cotton cloth that isn't even big enough & pin it on the unshaped ethafoam, works just as well, but� looks terrible.)

              Here's some URLs.

              www.Arachne.com

              Lacefairy.com

              http://lace.lacefairy.com/Map/ -- this shows various lace makers around the world & their email/location on google maps.� Not everyone knows that this exists – but it’s an easy way to find lace makers near you.

              ***�http://lace.lacefairy.com/LaceLinks.htm -- lots of nice links linked to this page

              http://www.cherrytree.demon.co.uk/CD2000/IDsheets/abc.htm -- neat page identifying what is lace and some of the techniques used.

              http://www.havenonline.com/bobbinlace/ -- nice how to make lace set of pages

              http://www.lacemagazine.com/bobbinlace123.htm -- 1 page beginning however

              http://www.blen.net/blen_13/blen_13.htm -- interesting site, check it out more, great bobbin winding picture

              http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/lace/index.htm -- online lace school

              http://lace.lacefairy.com/LaceBookList.html -- lists of books on lace by type

              ***�http://lace.lacefairy.com/BeginGuide.html

              shops

              http://www.lacysusan.com/

              http://www.vansciverbobbinlace.com/

              http://www.snowgoose.cc/

              Have fun lacing!�

              nancy in chicago

              > While I'm thinking about it: Somebody just mentioned the de Dillmont
              > needlework book. There's a section on bobbin lace. If you haven't
              > anything else, it'll get you started in background (ground) stitches.
              > I think one or two other needlework encyclopedias also have chapters
              > on bobbin lace.
              >
              > Cynthia
              >
              > On Jul 9, 2008, at 1:07 PM, Robin Paceley-Geiger wrote:
              >

              > > I am just getting started with getting the materials and learning
              > > from it online sites and self help books.

              ------- End of Original Message -------

            • Robin Paceley-Geiger
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 9 5:37 PM
                Will have to check that out....I don't know where I can find ethafoam but I can ask JoAnns fabrics.

                Yes they did have lace bobbins back in the Civil War era which some of the ladies of higher status have their ladies in waiting making laces for their collars and sleeves and trimmings on their dresses either house day dresses or ball gowns. Most of the time yo uwill see them in black. Lovely and some of them have tiny beads in them.

                Thanks for the links and info! I know I hope its not too hard. Someone told me I need about twenty bobbins but I can settle for less.

                Hard to find self help links to get started.

                Would cotton white pearl DMC number 8 or 12 will do for practices???? I am not ready to make the real thing until I get the lacing down pat.

                Thanks again, you guys are friendly and wonderful to share info!

                Robin
[...]

                www.Arachne.com<http://www.arachne.com/>

                Lacefairy.com

                http://lace.lacefairy.com/Map/<http://lace.lacefairy.com/Map/> -- this shows various lace makers around the world & their email/location on google maps. Not everyone knows that this exists – but it’s an easy way to find lace makers near you.

                *** http://lace.lacefairy.com/LaceLinks.htm<http://lace.lacefairy.com/LaceLinks.htm> -- lots of nice links linked to this page

                http://www.cherrytree.demon.co.uk/CD2000/IDsheets/abc.htm<http://www.cherrytree.demon.co.uk/CD2000/IDsheets/abc.htm> -- neat page identifying what is lace and some of the techniques used.

                http://www.havenonline.com/bobbinlace/<http://www.havenonline.com/bobbinlace/> -- nice how to make lace set of pages

                http://www.lacemagazine.com/bobbinlace123.htm<http://www.lacemagazine.com/bobbinlace123.htm> -- 1 page beginning however

                http://www.blen.net/blen_13/blen_13.htm<http://www.blen.net/blen_13/blen_13.htm> -- interesting site, check it out more, great bobbin winding picture

                http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/lace/index.htm<http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/lace/index.htm> -- online lace school

                http://lace.lacefairy.com/LaceBookList.html<http://lace.lacefairy.com/LaceBookList.html> -- lists of books on lace by type

                *** http://lace.lacefairy.com/BeginGuide.html<http://lace.lacefairy.com/BeginGuide.html>

                shops

                http://www.lacysusan.com/<http://www.lacysusan.com/>

                http://www.vansciverbobbinlace.com/<http://www.vansciverbobbinlace.com/>

                http://www.snowgoose.cc/<http://www.snowgoose.cc/>

                Have fun lacing!

                nancy in chicago

                > While I'm thinking about it: Somebody just mentioned the de Dillmont
                > needlework book. There's a section on bobbin lace. If you haven't
                > anything else, it'll get you started in background (ground) stitches.
                > I think one or two other needlework encyclopedias also have chapters
                > on bobbin lace.
                >
                > Cynthia
                >
                > On Jul 9, 2008, at 1:07 PM, Robin Paceley-Geiger wrote:
                >

                > > I am just getting started with getting the materials and learning
                > > from it online sites and self help books.

                ------- End of Original Message -------

              • Stephanie
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 9 11:43 PM
                  Hi Robbin,
                  What kind of bobbins do you have now? What kind would you like to use?
                  I have about 100 bobbins I do not use .... but I live in the
                  Netherlands .... postal costs will not be small ....I can try to get
                  as many as possible in an enveloppe I would love in return tipical
                  American lace patterns.
                  So if you are interested .... just email me. This weekend starts our
                  holiday ... I cannot read my mail until the 4th of August ...
                  They are European bobbins, not really special to me :-)
                  Stephanie (Netherlands)

                  Op 9 jul 2008, om 20:07 heeft Robin Paceley-Geiger het volgende
                  geschreven:

                • suebabbs@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 10 2:28 AM
                    Presumably as a member of the Land of Lincoln Lacemakers you know about the IOLI convention at Rockford in August

                    http://www.landoflincolnlacemakers.com/

                    Have you signed up for the beginners' classes? I suspect this would be a great starting point for you. Also it will be a good place to shop!

                    If you are looking for inexpensive bobbins, I would recommend Lacy Susan's International Square bobbins in pear. Smooth and a great price, plus they don't roll on the pillow. But i don't know if Civil War bobbins were a particular style.

                    Ethafoam won't be available at JoAnn's - try Loew's or Home Depot.

                    --
                    Sue (from Northfield, IL, but currently in Liscard, UK)
                    suebabbs@...

                    > While I'm thinking about it: Somebody just mentioned the de Dillmont
                    > needlework book. There's a section on bobbin lace. If you haven't
                    > anything else, it'll get you started in background (ground) stitches.
                    > I think one or two other needlework encyclopedias also have chapters
                    > on bobbin lace.
                    >
                    > Cynthia
                    >
                    > On Jul 9, 2008, at 1:07 PM, Robin Paceley-Geiger wrote:
                    >

                    > > I am just getting started with getting the materials and learning
                    > > from it online sites and self help books.

                    ------- End of Original Message -------

                  • Silk Pixie
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 10 3:05 AM
                      Hi Robin

                      Welcome to the group, we are a widespread group, I'm in Cheshire, England -
                      I work Midland/Bedfordshire lace as well as needle lace.

                      I hope you enjoy your time here ... your hobbies and re-enactments sound
                      very interesting

                      Debbie aka SilkPixie
                      Cheshire UK

                      www.silkpixie.com
                      Member of the Lace Guild, the Beadworker's Guild, the Bead Society & the
                      Braid Society.

                        Perle cotton is too soft and fuzzy. Cibelia no. 30 works with patterns
                        done on a 10 to the inch graph.

                        Cynthia

                        On Jul 9, 2008, at 7:37 PM, Robin Paceley-Geiger wrote:

                        > Would cotton white pearl DMC number 8 or 12 will do for
                        > practices???? I am not ready to make the real thing until I get the
                        > lacing down pat.
                      • Marji Sakievich
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 10 8:15 AM
                          A group of us ladies just purchased a large piece of the ethofoam. We found it at a builders supply place. Now to cut it up. We are going to make it into squares. I don't have one of those pillows and everyone I know seems to really like them. You use 9 squares, covered, so you can move them around as you work your piece. We were lucky in that there was a place that makes this foam.

                          Marji

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 10 10:59 AM
                            I love those pilllows,. made a lot of them :-))) I made round ones, 50
                            and 60 cm round ..... they are easy to carry and very simple to work
                            with!!! When the pinholes in the foam are to much to work on them,
                            you can cover them with special stuf they use under carpets, cover the
                            pillow with that and you can use them somw extra time:-))) You can
                            also turn the pillow and use the other side :-)))
                            Love them!!! They call it "Roofmate" here ...
                            Stephanie (Netherlands)

                            Op 10 jul 2008, om 17:15 heeft Marji Sakievich het volgende geschreven:

                            > A group of us ladies just purchased a large piece of the ethofoam.
                            > We found it at a builders supply place. Now to cut it up. We are
                            > going to make it into squares. I don't have one of those pillows
                            > and everyone I know seems to really like them. You use 9 squares,
                            > covered, so you can move them around as you work your piece. We
                            > were lucky in that there was a place that makes this foam.
                            >
                            > Marji
                          • Esther
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 10 11:07 AM
                              >I love those pilllows,. made a lot of them :-))) I made round ones, 50
                              > and 60 cm round ..... they are easy to carry and very simple to work
                              > with!!! When the pinholes in the foam are to much to work on them,
                              > you can cover them with special stuf they use under carpets, cover the
                              > pillow with that and you can use them somw extra time:-))) You can
                              > also turn the pillow and use the other side :-)))
                              > Love them!!! They call it "Roofmate" here ...

                              Stephanie, Roofmate and Ethafoam are not the same product.
                              Roofmate is quite rigid, used for insulation in houses.
                              Ethafoam had 'give' and the thinner sheets can be rolled. It is used for
                              packaging.
                              Or, as my grandkids know it, for making pool-toys like noodles.
                              Pinholes in ethafoam will close again, in roofmate they don't.

                              Esther