Running start with the gimp

  • Mary Shue
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2001
      Hi, everyone,
      Would some kind soul email me privately and explain to me how you would start the gimp out on the following pattern:

      http://www.angelfire.com/home/avital/fiber/blbook1.jpg

      I presume I would hang it on the second pin down vertically from the top. Would I do a TG first or just a twist, weave the gimp thru the left pair and back, weave the gimp thru the right pair and back, cross the gimp....... Thanks. I'm just getting back to bobbin lace and I'm not sure what the best way is to handle those two gimp pins at the top.

      Mary in Ann Arbor

    • Lorelei Halley
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2001
        Mary,
        What I would do is in the picture below. I used olive green for the gimp
        (yellow doesn't show up well enough). Work pins 1, 2, 3 as usual. Hang the
        gimp on pin 4. Twist the ground pair from pin 2 once, pass the left gimp,
        twist that same ground pair once more.. Twist the ground pair from pin 3
        once, pass the right gimp, twist that ground pair once more. Work the
        first half of your ground stitch, remove pin 4 and and then reset it under
        the ground stitch, finish the ground stitch.

        You may have to adjust where you put the twists, and how many twists,
        depending on whether you are a cross twister, or a twist crosser. The rule
        is (usually): gimp should be enclosed by at least one twist before it and
        after it, so that the pair it passes through looks as if it has one twist on
        it before and after the gimp passes. How many you use depends also on the
        ground. Be rational, make it look nice, the number of twists isn't set in
        stone.

        Hope this helps.

        Lorelei Halley
        lorelei@...
        www.loreleihalley.com

      • Lorelei Halley
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2001
          Mary
          I am sending you an answer with a drawing in jpg format attached at the end
          of the email. It is not a virus.
          Lorelei