Wonderful bobbinlace find at the thrift store!

  • Tatman
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hi all,
      Just have to tell you about this unexpected find while shopping at my local
      thrift store.

      http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1383/975947491_ab4e5e74dd_b.jpg

      This framed piece of bobbinlace just about jumped right into my cart LOL!
      OK....inside I was gasping and my arm automatically reached for it and I
      wasn't going to let anyone know exactly what I found :-D And it was a steal!
      They priced it at US$5.00 and was half price day, so I paid US$2.50. I just
      HAD to rescue this poor lonely lace stuck in a tub full of other pictures
      not worth snot. The lacer took great pains to mount and frame it(altho it
      is mounted on a blue velvet, not something I would do). It is even properly
      sealed in the back.

      I believe it is an Idrija style pattern, but the mystery is I wonder who was
      the lacemaker? Besides me, I am not sure of anyone in my immediate area
      that does bobbinlace of this kind. A possible scenario for this rescued
      picture is that this was a gift and not wanted and donated to the hospital
      thrift store.

      Here is a close up of the cross section:
      http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1433/976833950_abde673f19_o.jpg

      I may not ever know who the lacemaker was, but would like to know if any of
      you recognize the pattern and what book it came from.

      Thanks for letting me share my find and I am still jumping with joy about it
      :)

      Mark, aka Tatman
      In scortching hot Greenville, IL USA
      Www.tat-man.net
    • C Johnson
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
        You did not mention, how large is it?
        You are always making such lovely finds. You must be very lucky.

        Susie

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
          Susie,
          Good question. Forgot about that. The lace measures 25.5cm X 16cm(10in X
          6.25in)

          Mark, aka Tatman
          Www.tat-man.net

          On 8/1/07 1:27 PM, "C Johnson" <Cjohnson0969@...> wrote:

          > You did not mention, how large is it?
          > You are always making such lovely finds. You must be very lucky.
          >
          > Susie
        • Marji Sakievich

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
              I have quite a few similar patterns for Madonnas. My guess is that it is a
              very simple piece of Italian Rosolin lace.
              Karen in Malta

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • joybern1@bigpond.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 1, 2007
                Hello There
                How very fortunate you were this piece is so lovely..
                Joy in OZ
                Please visit my blog
                http://artbyjoymac.blogspot.com

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 30, 2007
                  Hi can anyone help me please, I,m looking for a crochet hook no, 00.2mm. I,m sure I saw it on some site but I cannot find it can some one tell me how I can get one thanks a lot Tess Malta
                  Good question. Forgot about that. The lace measures 25.5cm X 16cm(10in X
                  6.25in)

                  Mark, aka Tatman
                  Www.tat-man.net

                  On 8/1/07 1:27 PM, "C Johnson" <Cjohnson0969@...> wrote:

                  > You did not mention, how large is it?
                  > You are always making such lovely finds. You must be very lucky.
                  >
                  > Susie

                • Marji Sakievich
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 30, 2007
                    So I must tell you my thrift store find of last week. I found "Braid Lace for Today" by Jennifer Fisher. It is really a Russian Tape lace book. Too much fun. I think the whole store heard me squeal with delight!!!

                    Marji

                    Hi can anyone help me please, I,m looking for a crochet hook no, 00.2mm. I,m sure I saw it on some site but I cannot find it can some one tell me how I can get one thanks a lot Tess Malta
                    Good question. Forgot about that. The lace measures 25.5cm X 16cm(10in X
                    6.25in)

                    Mark, aka Tatman
                    Www.tat-man.net

                    On 8/1/07 1:27 PM, "C Johnson" <Cjohnson0969@...> wrote:

                    > You did not mention, how large is it?
                    > You are always making such lovely finds. You must be very lucky.
                    >
                    > Susie

                  • Karen
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 31, 2007
                      Tess - I believe 0.4 is the finest available.
                      I don't think 0.2 exists, but please correct me anybody if they are
                      available because in that case I would love to have one as well.
                      Karen in Malta

                      <mailto:Cjohnson0969%40comcast.net> > wrote:

                      > You did not mention, how large is it?
                      > You are always making such lovely finds. You must be very lucky.
                      >
                      > Susie

                      MailScanner <http://www.nextweb.net.mt/> , and is believed to be clean.
                    • Melissa Jurisch
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 31, 2007
                        Tess,

                        Handy Hands has a set of 3 half-size crochet hooks with the #00 size
                        included, but they've been cut in half and put on a ring. Great for
                        having near to make sewings, but won't work so well if you want to
                        use them for crochet.

                        Melissa